CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Kayak Fish Finder
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maximillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Kayak Fish Finder Reply with quote

So I just bought a kayak a little while ago and I plan on decking it out. I know people put Fish Finders on kayaks and I found a few that I like but does anybody on this site have one on theirs and if so what kind? Also would it be useful for shallower lakes that dont get much more than 10 ft deep? these are the bodies of water I usually fish but I plan on going all over the state this summer.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Lowrance X-4 Pro. Haven't used it in the water yet but have played with the menu.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
I have a Lowrance X-4 Pro. Haven't used it in the water yet but have played with the menu.

Let me know how it goes and goodluck with it

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are you planning to spend on it? Do you plan to troll lures?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
How much are you planning to spend on it? Do you plan to troll lures?

Well I never trolled in a kayak and probbaly wont that much, I like casting and being in control. But I was thinking of spending up to 200 maximum

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you don't plan to troll, you wouldn't need GPS. I'm partial to Humminbird fish finders and Cabela's has a terrific deal on the Humminbird PiranhaMax 190C Fish Finder until March 19:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbird-PiranhaMax8482-190C-Fish-Finder/737805.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100516%26Ne%3D5100516%26No%3D0%26Ns%3DMIN_SALE_PRICE%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=fish+finder&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you're likely to spend $50 at Cabela's after you buy it, anyway, the net cost would be only $109.88.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
Since you don't plan to troll, you wouldn't need GPS. I'm partial to Humminbird fish finders and Cabela's has a terrific deal on the Humminbird PiranhaMax 190C Fish Finder until March 19:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Humminbird-PiranhaMax8482-190C-Fish-Finder/737805.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D5100516%26Ne%3D5100516%26No%3D0%26Ns%3DMIN_SALE_PRICE%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26recordsPerPage%3D20%26search%3Dfish%2Bfinder%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=fish+finder&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

If you're likely to spend $50 at Cabela's after you buy it, anyway, the net cost would be only $109.88.

My only problem is how effective would it be in shallow water, I usually fish Moodus Res the most often and it only gets 9 ft deep at the most I think one spot 14 im not sure but mostof the lake is about 3-6 so would it have any advantages there?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a Humminbird 561 for $149.00 at Cabelas. Going to install it this weekend. It has a 5" display, quick disconnect, 12 level grey scale and is dual beam. What brand kayak do you have?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mase2020 wrote:
What brand kayak do you have?

Do you have an Ocean Kayak Ultra? Laughing

Seriously, Alan, if you find someone who could use the transducer mount I gave you, please pass it on to them. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mase2020 wrote:
Just got a Humminbird 561 for $149.00 at Cabelas. Going to install it this weekend. It has a 5" display, quick disconnect, 12 level grey scale and is dual beam. What brand kayak do you have?

I have a Future Beach Trophy 126, my main reason for wanting the fish finder is actually locating fish when im in a new lake or during tough conditions and seeing what structure is on the bottom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for very shallow lakes you will want something with a very wide beam width and possibly side scan. This will help you see fish around you and not just a small cone that is directly below you. These sonars normally cost more, but the DI function will give you a great picture of the bottom. I was looking at the 385 ci di but there about twice your budget. For early spring you would do well with a thermometer and looking for the warm water. Cheap and effective, but not very cool.
Maximillion

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

angry john wrote:
for very shallow lakes you will want something with a very wide beam width and possibly side scan. This will help you see fish around you and not just a small cone that is directly below you. These sonars normally cost more, but the DI function will give you a great picture of the bottom. I was looking at the 385 ci di but there about twice your budget. For early spring you would do well with a thermometer and looking for the warm water. Cheap and effective, but not very cool.

Thanks for the help exactly what I was looking for well id rather dish out that money anyway when I have it mid summer because I could always use that fish finderr when I fix my boat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Pirnamax 170. it works well but , 3 feet of water is the shallowest it works. anything less then 3 the readings go to 0. -Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another think to look at is the type and shape of transducer that is required to make the unit work, that you want. Not all transducers are the same and my require some creative mounting options. Most all will be able to be transom mounted, Does your craft have a flat back transom or are you looking for an internal mount???
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Lowrance X-4 also. It's a decent finder for the price. I just wanted it for depth, temp and bottom contour which it is fine for. I don't trust the actual fishfinder feature that shows the little fish icons on the screen. It seems to pick up weeds and whatnot and interpret it as fish. I use it on the regular setting and look for the fish arcs rather than the fish icon thing. The biggest benefit for a yak is that the display is small and doesn't get in the way as much on a small boat like a yak.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: