CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Fish finder on aluminum boat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rivernut

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There used to be a company -Alumaducer- that made a special transducer for shooting through aluminum hulls. it came with an adaptor cable for whatever brand you needed it for. It used some special "acoustic epoxy". I tried one but it was no better than a stock one with silicone. You can find sweet spots to mount the transducer by putting enough water in the boat to cover the bottom of the transducer, then go for a ride and move it around the floor until it works well. You can use a sock full of sand to hold it down. You can also use clay to make a temporary cup wall and put water in it. Some boats come with a formed cup to put transducer in, then put a small sand bag (sock) on it. As long as it is against the hull without air bubbles, it doesn't matter if it is epoxy, silicone or just water. No new holes or cement is best if possible. Silicone does muffle the sonar a little bit because it is soft, so just be sure to push it down firmly and put something heavy on it while it cures. If you use GE Silicone 1, the hull doesn't even have to be dry because moisture accelerates the curing of the acetic acid (vinegar) based Silicone 1.

jimbojonez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we couldn't get that alumiweld shit to work worth a damn. says you can heat the aluminum with a propane torch but all videos of it actually working are with guys using a real torch. we flattened the holes out and patched them with jb weld. sealed the rivet seams with black exterior caulk then spray on bedliner. we ordered some hull armor paint at 90$ a gallon and waiting for it to come in the mail.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to hear you had a hard time with the almi-weld but I do use a normal torch with it ...last couple weeks ive been useing it on my refit and have had a hard time getting a clean joint I think the cold weather effects the way it sets up and getting it to flow properly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be that the torch we were using just wasn't flowing right. it seemed we couldn't get the hull hot enough to melt the sticks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Humminbird portable setup and the transducer sticks on to the back of the transom with a suction cup.

http://store.humminbird.com/products/271586/MHX_XNPT

I stick mine on once I launch and get out in to water 5'+ deep and pull it off before I beach. I also am a row-boater with no power propulsion. It really sticks on there and very seldom falls off. Easy to put on but takes a bit of effort to get a purchase along the edge of the cup when its time to remove but you'll get the hang of it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya aluminum is a real good heat sink it dumps the heat as fast as you can lay it on. Im finding out when its cold its dam near impossible to maintain proper heat for it to flow right took me allmost 45 min for 1 joint other day Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: