CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: which one
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tav1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: which one Reply with quote

when looking or buying a boat which one would you pick and why is it your preference ....a mod V or V bottom.

gonna be buying in about 3-4 mos. , looking at a mod v ,light and so I can get it on and myself plus get into skinny places...... or a v bottom to with higher sides and more open floor plan. both about 40 hp.

catch and release...#1 priority

we all live down stream once in a while and walking on water is a rush.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All boils down to your personal fishing/other preferences. You mentioned skinny water. Do you plan to run it in the sound? You mentioned a range of about 40hp, so your either talking an aluminum or lighter skiff type of boat. Did you have a price range? The Tracker type aluminum bass boats are great for freshwater in the 17/40hp, or a 16-17' deep V for a bit more versatility in slightlyy rougher conditions. Lights skiffs that draw very little water can also be pushed along with 40hp. I think if you provided a bit more info, you could probably get quite a bit of pro-con opinions and feedback. Guys on here are running all kinds of boats, from jons to cargo ships!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
angry john

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have one but I have been looking at a center console Carolina skiff. There are some small ones that would be very versatile. I think there a shallow v but not positive.
tav1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i would like to hit some lakes and some ponds providing they take motors , some do but if not put it up and troll. also would hit the ct. river and up to the mouth and nothing further. i've been looking for some time and heart goes with a mod V. but no trackers i heard to many horror stories with them...
no offence to tracker owners.

Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tav1 wrote:
well i would like to hit some lakes and some ponds providing they take motors , some do but if not put it up and troll. also would hit the ct. river and up to the mouth and nothing further. i've been looking for some time and heart goes with a mod V. but no trackers i heard to many horror stories with them...

That being the case, the mod V type bass boats like a G3 can do all of what you're looking for on a 40hp. PECo runs one of these. Probably lots of similar boats to choose from new and used. This type of boat will give you a more stable casting platform for lake and river fishing. You can also troll without having to get a huge system. Ask around! Maybe a few fellow anglers on this site will let you go for a ride on some different boats. Best way to get a feel is on the water. Good luck!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redneckangler wrote:
tav1 wrote:

That being the case, the mod V type bass boats like a G3 can do all of what you're looking for on a 40hp. PECo runs one of these. Probably lots of similar boats to choose from new and used. This type of boat will give you a more stable casting platform for lake and river fishing. You can also troll without having to get a huge system. Ask around! Maybe a few fellow anglers on this site will let you go for a ride on some different boats. Best way to get a feel is on the water. Good luck!

A mod V is fine for our smaller Connecticut waters, but, like Redneckangler said, if you think you might want to hit the Sound, get a deep V. Another significant difference between the two is passenger/load capacity; mod Vs have very little capacity compared to deep Vs. If you plan to have more than one passenger, a deep V would probably be better.

That said, I really like my 2006 G3 Eagle 165 with 60 hp four stroke Yamaha. She's small enough to fit in my garage and tough enough to take a beating. I've dropped her on the ramp, and hit sandbars and rocks, and her bilge still stays completely dry. I ran her all Winter and she ran perfectly. Her motor starts the first time, every time, and runs quietly and smoke free. My only problems with her are: 1. Her Maximum Capacities are a joke. Four persons or 485 pounds. Shocked Really? How many 121-1/4 pound fishermen do you know? Rolling Eyes I don't think I'd ever have more than two persons aboard; 2. She has a relatively narrow beam, so her lateral stability isn't the greatest (i.e., she rocks fairly easily as you shift position from side to side); 3. With the maximum 60 horsepower motor, she drafts about 15 inches when fully loaded; and 4. I could use more storage than she has, but that's probably true of every boat.

I think that the best way for you to know for sure what kind of boat would best suit your needs would be for you to test drive all of the boats or styles of boats you're considering. If you'd like to try mine out, send me a PM.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peco....pm sent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: