CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Crappie?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Crappie? Reply with quote

Just wondering what you guys use for early season crappie. Went yesterday with small jigs under floats and got about half a dozen. I also lost a few. Of course i also lost the biggest 1 i hooked into right at the bank. Any tips or info on what water temp is good for the best bite is appreciated.
Thanks Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Crappie? Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
Just wondering what you guys use for early season crappie. Went yesterday with small jigs under floats and got about half a dozen. I also lost a few. Of course i also lost the biggest 1 i hooked into right at the bank. Any tips or info on what water temp is good for the best bite is appreciated.
Thanks Very Happy

In the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal, the black crappie are suspending about three to four feet down in the extremely murky 40 to 44 degree water. NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) and I spoke with a couple of fishermen who were pulling them up with some mummies they had left over from ice fishing floated under bobbers. I think that any bait would do, though. I caught only one, today, with a Watermelon Pearl 2-1/2 inch Berkley Gulp! Minnow on a 1/8 ounce round jighead, but I was fishing the bottom all day:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody were to think about the warm winter we had last year and how warm it got in March, the water temp at Lake Kenosia was warm enough in mid April for the crappie to be in full force with crankbaits. Whenever we have an average winter and spring with enough warm spells, May into early June has been the time I get them with crankbaits from shore.

Water temp I'd guess would be in the lower 50's
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, so that means the bite i was on should only get better !

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something else I just thought of is weeds. I've hit crappie from shore at Bunnells Pond just before weeds get thick as the water warms up in the spring. Once the water gets warmer in June and the weeds get very thick, I'm no longer into the crappie as thick as I was.

Once the crappie leave their nesting sites and go deeper into the thick weeds, bluegills and pumpkinseeds start nesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: