CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: CT river 9/26
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Just4fun

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: CT river 9/26 Reply with quote

Using up some vacation time this week and I hit the river this afternoon. Fished it from about 130 till 5:00, spending most of the time in the channel to Seldon's cove. Ended up with just 3 bass,..the best one was this spotty 3.5 lber!

Johnny Skeeter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mark i am around friday late day and this weekend if you want to get out.
John
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
i've never seen a bass with those kinda spots...is that normal at all? possibly some kind of infection?

Nice bass regardless!!!!

I forgot the exact cause of those spots,..bass in some places here in CT and a few other states can get them. I do not believe that their health is adversely affected because of them though!
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job on that leopard bass buddy! Very Happy I'm going to guess and say you got him on a jig'n'pig.
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally wierd... if anyone has more info on this, i would love to see it... never seen that before..... he does look healthy though...

Just one more cast...
SkeeterRon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job buddy..

Maybe that's a Dalmatian Bass. Laughing

Sorry when you own two Dalmatian everything that has spot's is in the Dalmatian family..

They are fun to watch run around after you had a few to many.. Embarassed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someones spending alot of time on the river....nice spotted bass Laughing

need i ask what it was caught on??????
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stumpy wrote:
someones spending alot of time on the river....nice spotted bass Laughing

need i ask what it was caught on??????

Just trying to learn the river a bit better than I do,....and you guys are correct,..it was a jig! I threw a few other baits,..but it was too hard fishing anything lighter because of the wind!
BAWS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of black spots, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.

The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.

In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.
S.layin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: