CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Boat Mods and upgrades
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Boat Mods and upgrades Reply with quote

Well my boat "The Way More Better" just entered the shop for he next round of up grades . Over the past few years ive turn what once was a 3 seated row boat into to a fairly usable poor mans bass boat. Im starting this post to help those guys like myself who want all the comfort of a big $ bass boat on a budget a family man can handle. Ill be adding links for hardware and parts plus tricks for makeing templets ,coatings for deck plates , wood types that ive tried that work and dont. Plus much much more .
Anyone doing boat work have questions or ideas feel free to add coments . I'll be adding pics as the work moves along.

Last edited by NWDarkcloud on Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dantheman

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see the pics!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Here we go.....
this is the type of boat im working with....a Sylvan Sea Snapper 15 footer

The first year I had it I put in floors and deck plates up front for a casting platform. I used pressure treated plywood vynal coated it and filled the entire underside with expanding foam. MAGOR !! mistake the foam held water and trapped moisture against the wood . The deck plates soon became saturated a 4x8 sheet that I removed at the end of the first year was so heavy it took 2 ppl. to lift it out of the boat. I now use NBO board its a lot cheaper than marine plywood and designed for exterior use, a favorite of sign makers for its moister resistant qualitys once coated and sealed it has held up 15 years for me with no sign of degradeing.
The following pic's are of the hull after stripping out all the first year modes and scraped out all the foam.The foredeck with trolling motor mount is the only remaining part from 1st year mode.

I then made aluminum trusses and welded the joints useing Alumiweld rods (love this stuff) easy to use and cheap

I then got some aluminum sheet cut tabs marked it for folds and had it folded at a local sign shop for about 40$

added the livewell tank from Cabelas another 35$ w/ fittings and pump

After instaling the cabnet sections I started laying out the templates for deck plates

Once they fit just right I transfered them to the NBO and cut them

After sealing them with epoxy painting them and adding traction tape I then made the cabnet tops and topped them with laminate (another mistake) even though I was garenteed it was exterior grade and explained its porsose to the the sales person at lumber yard the laminate went to crap after 2 years 60$ wasted I would now paint them like the deck plates.

So with that finished its time to change it once again. I now plan to remove the rear seat im tiered of climbing around it .

As it looks now and a drawing of the finished idea

more to follow as I and my helper Jason complete it....

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice so far, looks good! Very Happy
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you will stand as you motor down or up the river? Awesome job and Im a total DIY'er myself. I dont own a boat and dont see it in m,y direct future until at least 1 of my settlements come through but no matter what it is I love reading stuff like this hence why I loved thet home built snowblower despite it being waaaaaaaaaay overboard to say the least LOL. A few years back I built a pretty serious home brewing 3 tiered system all electric and it kicked arse!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that there other shop rats like myself out there Very Happy I allways like to build it to fit my needs thats part of the fun....
there will be a pedistal seat mount on the floor I will no longer have the bench seat to climb around and tangle up my feet. the work has been progressing slowly last 3 weeks with broke finger and splint on 1 hand but now there off I can handle power tools again in fact the bench seat was removed yesterday and I have begun the layout for new ribs.....pics to follow

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice so far Bob, keep us posted. We did the same basic thing with our old 14 jon boat. Added pumps for bilge and livewells, overflow drains for the livewell etc. It just got too small for doing tourny's out of, so we upgraded. It was a lot of fun doing the work though.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long winter of shop work . fishing time almost on us Jason and I have been chipping away at the boat refit for the last 2 months temps been to cold to add the color till now. So heres a look at the job so far......

Started off cutting out the seat and instaling the trusses and ribs to suport the floor

Then cut the cardboard templets for the Items we plan to build.

Then transfered that to wood and cut it.

Built and prefit everything ......

Now just waiting on the paint to set up. Then finish up the wireing and final instal ....pics to follow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually purchasing a sylvan super snapper this week Lord willing everything goes as planned. What year was your snapper? And if you don't mind me asking what was the round about price for your whole project of making a bass boat?

I was interested I. Making a casting deck and also a live well, but I don't have too much engineering skills with measuring and cutting stuff.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
ripline

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great mods and great post.

Check out tinboats.net when you get the chance. Lot's of excellent ideas and helpful info there as well. I got a few hints on some work I was doing and also what not to do.
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWDarkcloud,,Nice job !! But How heavy are you making that boat ?
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat was built in 1980 when I bought it 20year ago with trailer and motor I paid $800 . I would not recomend doing anything like this to a new boat It would void the warranty instantly but if its a used boat with a tail light guarantee like I had it leaves you open to do what ya like.

Total price of the mods is about 800$ spread out over a couple years....
Good part of this total is all the little things you need to buy , lights , terminal block, seat mounts , rod holders and all the goodies that make your life easy.
Hardware cost can be cut way down by getting that at http://www.mcmaster.com/# and not looking to local places for what ya need. { for shop-rats like me this place supplys everything next day w/ no extra cost Thumbs Up thats a winner for me.)

It dose add a little weight but not much theres 1.25 sheets of 3/4 MBO and about 25 lb in aluminum total plus mis. parts and addons.
The boat handles and comes up on plane with no problem and still only drafts less than 3 inches of water.
The boat is rated for 5 ppl these mods make it a 2 ppl boat for fishing 3 for traveling if I had to guess ive add 150 lb total and thats being generous on the estimate, the floor panels make up the magor part of this total.

tinboats.net cool link thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: