CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: big trout beginner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
majikcaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: big trout beginner Reply with quote

I've been fishing bass for years and just recently. (2-3 Years) started fishing trout in the colder seasons. I've only caught average sized trout but recently on a trip back home to Massachusetts i hooked a muc and alh larger trout. here is the scenario. i hooked a smaller brown and noticed something MUCH larger chasing after it. i let the fish stay in the water to see if the bigger one would bite. no bite. A few casts and a few more small browns i decide to switch to a very bright chartuce blue fox vibrax blade size 1. A few casts and no bites. i say the fishermans lie "one last cast and I'm done" and i thought i snagged the bottomn i try a forceful tug and bam. my line takes off. only saw the flash of a large trout the size of wich I'v.e never even hooked before. the fight lasted maybe 3-5 seconds when i go to adjust the drag and my thumb barely touches the side of the spool and snap. i use a small advocet 2 spinning reel with 6 lb mono on it. don't usually have a net. i guess the point of this is that I'm looking for tips and help bringing the monster in next time. drag settings. netting it without the help of another person ect. thanks alot guys
majikcaster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please excuse typos. I'm using a smart phone lol
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: well Reply with quote

You need to set the drag so the trout is taking out line, but tiring to do so. You need it to be working, but not putting your line at risk of breaking. You have to keep tension on the line at all times, so if he doubles back towards you, real in fast. Keep your rod tip up to keep him from getting down deep and snagging you up. When he wants to run, let him run, fighting the drag and taking out line, while you are not reeling. When you want to get him in, lift up while not reeling, then move the pole tip down while reeling in and keeping tension on the line, and repeat this process until he runs again, or you get him to shore. If you really wanna learn, you'll have to catch another big one on light line. Carp fishing would be good practice, but you should probably use 10lb or so. You'll get the same learning experience.
Cd662

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 pound test can land a lot of fish here in Connecticut. Like Afternoon fisher mentioned, you want to keep tension on the line so that the fish is tiring out. I like to keep the drag pre-adjusted to where I want it. You don't want to be too loose but if you have it on the loose side, you can always increase the drag or hold the line with your thumb. The "danger zone" is when you're close to landing the fish; sometimes the fish freak out when they're close to being beached and a lot of people lose fish then.

To test the drag, simply pull on the line. Over time you'll have a feel for how much pressure a certain pound test line will take. The balance of tension will let you set the hook but will allow line to be released when the fish starts to run. Good luck, there's plenty more out there! Smile
damage inc

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you have a light action or ultra light pole too! very important to keep tension on with a trout. The pole believe (it or not) does most of the work for you. If you're using a medium-heavy pole, they tend to "straighten" out quicker and give the slack that Trout need to get off. Don't ask me how they do it, but they can get off in a split second! The big ones are better at this trick than the small ones. good luck.
P.S. fishing for Bass sucks after your hooked on Trout!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few considerations. If you're fishing for large trout, get a long rod. If possible look at 7' and up. This will give you leverage, and be able to change head direction around snags. Consider a moderate action speed. If your trying to keep the rod loaded to prevent loosing the hook, the slower action will help a lot. A longer slower action will also cushion the runs, and help protect the lighter line. These types of rods are not expensive and any "glass rod" should be just great. Power considerations will relate directly to line choice. If your using moving baits, then you can use a heavier line and a heavier rod. Bait and wait is the most critical because they have all day to inspect the bait.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/wild-river

There are some great options here, if these are to expensive you may want to check out

http://www.lamiglas.com/prod_indiv.php?groupid=74

The mod fast action would have some more versatility.

http://www.shakespeare-fishing.com/index_rods.html
If you dont care about buying american products then the ugly stick will last forever and you can use and abuse it. The lite version is way better than the standard IMO.

Line choice is a money and application choice. I love copolymer lines, strong as hell, cheap and a great value. You described fishing moving baits. 6 or 8 would be great for that purpose. I like yo zuri hybrid but would choose the 4 lb in that case. I am also very familiar with P-line floroclear in 8 lb and its a great line as well. PECO uses and likes the line as well.

http://yo-zuri.com/Products/Yo-Zuri_Fishing_Line/details/Yo-Zuri_Hybrid.html

Look at a line diameter first, then choose the best line for the size not the listed lb test.
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: rod Reply with quote

I have a $25 cabela's crappie whuppin stick. It is 7'6" light power, moderate action, rated for 4lb-8lb test. I have used it for trout fishing and dropshotting bass. It is a good cheap alternative. It is actually made by Ugly Stick.
angry john

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FENWICK-HMG-SPINNING-ROD-7-foot-Medium-action-GS-70M-MF-NEW-/300892941523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460e9decd3
This would also make a good tube smallmouth and crappie rod

And if you want "the one" i sometimes use my steez flexlite 7' works great. Little on the pricey side though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: