CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: Shetucket and Natchaug trout and a nice surprise.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Shetucket and Natchaug trout and a nice surprise. Reply with quote

Well it has been a long time since I have been on this site so I figure I owe a report. I hit the Shetucket and Natchaug on Saturday with my buddy Ed and he showed me a few sections of river that I never fished before. It was a beautiful day, a little chilly in the morning, and warmed up nicely as the day went along.

We hit the Shetucket in Scotland first for a few hours and we both did some center pin fishing. Ed was into fish right off the bat. He had a banner day using mealies and catching bout 10 dace lol. However he also landed his first Atlantic salmon. We were both super excited about his catch (neither one of us had ever caught one)

Well it took me about 90 minutes before I finally hooked into a fish, a decent brown trout that hit my night crawler. It took me awhile to get dialed in to the length of my shot line and the distance from the float to the hook.

After the Shetucket River we moved on to various spots along the Natchaug River. We switched over to our ultra light trout rods as our 12 foot float rods were just too big for the 6 foot narrow river. Ed only threw some pin minnows and small floating Rapalas and I caught a few nice size browns. I was drifting night crawlers and definitely out fished Ed. I think we went to 4 or 5 different spots and the trout were there waiting for me... Mostly browns around 12 inches and two nice bows and two nice size brookies. I had a nice mix of browns, brookies and bows.

On a side note, Ed found a deadly dick on the bottom of the Shetucket, the same size and weight he would throw for blues out in the sound.

One of the best days/times I have had fishing in awhile, even after slipping in the mud and falling on my fat arse and seeing all of the trash fishermen left behind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, RobO! I'm glad to read that you're still fishing. Very Happy

Yeap, unfortunately it's time to stick a bunch of trash bags in your tackle bag. . . . Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Phil,

I usually have a plastic grocery bag with me and I always take out more than I brought in. Time for me to also start keeping spare cloths in the truck too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice salmon! i'm glad i read this post, because i don't usually take trash home with me. other people's anyway. I do wind up line and take it whenever i find it but i don't see why i shouldn't do more. thanks guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: