CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Trout Fishing
Viewing Topic: disgusting trout release tactics observed today
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coastieyaker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: disgusting trout release tactics observed today Reply with quote

I have to get this off my chest,
My buddy and I were at Great Hollow Lake in Monroe this morning,
Naturally there were tons of father/sons out there which was great to see, however there was one young gentleman fishing next to me that was using disgraceful release tactics.

He was catching great looking trout one after the other and I observed him cutting the line at the hook and releasing it back in the water.

After seeing this occur three times my friend says to the 14 year old, "do you want to keep a spare set of pliers I have for your trout"? The kid responds by saying "no I just cut the line at the hook and throw it back in the water."

At this point I was furious and then saw the dad doing the same thing,

Had there not been so many young kids there , things could have really gone south, but we chose to say a little something and leave.

I would imagine n one in this forum releases fish in this terrible manner, so I think this is a safe place for me to vent.
CTfirefighter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he was probably doing less damage to the fish then he would have if he tried to take the hooks out,,,,,were they hooked to deep maybe ????

why didnt you try and help the kid out by explaining to the "kid" what he was doing wrong rather then come here and bash him ????
skinyon99

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes cut the hooks off if the trout swallows the hook. It actually does less damage to the fish then ripping out its throat trying to get the hook. Amazingly, most hooks will dissolve inside the fish if they are in there for along time.
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: disgusting trout release tactics observed today Reply with quote

coastieyaker wrote:
I observed him cutting the line at the hook

I agree that what the dad was doing is wrong, both cutting the line at the hook and teaching his son to do the same. Rolling Eyes Strange. . . .

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ctfirefighter,
i would have imagined a fishing forum would be the most appropriate venue to air a fishing related grievance, perhaps i am missing something?

in my humble opinion if you consider my post to be bashing the person,i think that is a little melodramatic
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of times its better for the fish to do it that way. Somebody else will probably catch those fish and keep them in the very near future and if they don't, they will be dead come june anyway....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
A lot of times its better for the fish to do it that way.

While that's definitely true, it's not the circumstance that coastieyaker described. In the vast majority of cases, it's definitely best to remove the hook. Wink

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one example of why I do not venture out opening day/opening day weekend. The crap you see and some of the people you encounter is amazing.
Cd662

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen all sorts of crazy stuff. I think some people genuinely don't understand what they're doing is fatal to the fish because they're stupid. For example, I've seen people KNEEL on the fish while RIPPING the hooks out of their mouths. Unlike sunfish, trout generally sink straight to the bottom when they die so there's no "evidence" that the fish didn't make it. I think the only thing we as responsible anglers can do is politely inform the people what's going on and if they don't want to take the advice, there's no use in getting in a fight over it. There's too many weirdos out there.
TROUTOUT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is an example of horrid angling, even when the fish gets the hook in their throat, i use long pliers to get it, and i dont use snells for this purpose, it makes them hard to hang on to in the long run, however it does less damage to the fish, since i only really catch and release thats what works best for me, if i do run a snelled hook, i squeeze it a little smaller with my pliers so it still will grab, but comes out rather easy. people make me sick, if i were you i would have done the same, thats like shooting a deer, and not tracking the trail to see if you got it, and it has to live with an arrow in it's side.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just proves how stupid some people are. That's just horrible.
lunkerlarry

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a lot of ice fishing in New Hampshire. There you are not allowed to keep landlocked salmon during the winter. When you hook one you are required to leave fish in water and cut the line immediately. Im sure they would not require line cutting if it was so terrible for the fish.
troutslayer1

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also do alot of ice fishing in new hapshire and mainly ice fish lake winnipesaukee. The new hampshire fish and game says that cutting the line does less damage to the fish and this has been proven. Im pretty sure the new hapshire fish and game know more about this topic than some know it all trout fisherman. Next time know what you are talking about before posting a report.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

troutslayer1 wrote:
I also do alot of ice fishing in new hapshire and mainly ice fish lake winnipesaukee. The new hampshire fish and game says that cutting the line does less damage to the fish and this has been proven. Im pretty sure the new hapshire fish and game know more about this topic than some know it all trout fisherman. Next time know what you are talking about before posting a report.

Cutting the line does less harm to landlocked salmon that are hooked by ice fishermen because the fish are all deeply hooked. Laughing

Seriously, though, fish mortality from catch and release practices depends on a lot of factors, including physiological response to stress, recovery time, fish size, bleeding, depth of capture, air and water temperature, hook type, hooking location, bait type, landing net type, and air exposure. And the impact of these factors can vary widely by fish species. Looking at all of thee factors in regard to landlocked salmon caught through the ice, the New Hampshire Fish & Game Department probably concluded that cutting the line at the hook is usually the best practice, under those circumstances. Wink

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troutslayer,
I am not sure if you were referring to me when you said "know it all". If you were referring to me, please understand I know very little about fishing, which is one of the reasons this forum is so wonderful. It allows me and others to absorb the vast amounts of knowledge from experienced fisherman around our state.

The way you come across sounds pretty hostile. If it was my "report" that upset you this much, please accept my apologies.

I am just a military veteran who was fortunate enough to start fishing in my free time, while serving my country and while trying to get away from the hostility.

Tight lines
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Trout Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: