CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Aluminum Rivet Replacements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Aluminum Rivet Replacements Reply with quote

I decided to replace some rivets on my aluminum boat. A few are starting to leak and I want to prevent a problem before it happens. FIrst off, I never realized how hard it is to find the close ended rivets...I found tons of open ones but of course that will do me no good seeing that the boat will obviously be in water.

Anyone have any advice? I have a rivet tool, and have the rivets on order. Should be here by Friday. I also have some epoxy which I am considering putting on as well to ensure a very good seal. Kind of a pain in the ass to remove some of these rivets. Some are very very loose, and some are a little loose. I'm going to have to drill them out to replace them of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try going to an auto body supply store?

There is Finish Master in Hartford, Kemperle in Kensington, Paint World in Wallingford.
Or over in Hartford/Wethersfield line give Blaine a call at CT Outdoors on the Silas Deane Highway he should be able to steer you in the right direction.

Hope this is of help.
John.
ripline

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try rebucking them first. That will save you a ton of time. You will need a partner though.

Do a search on tinboats.net for the info you are looking for. Lots of stuff on rivet repair, rebucking and replacements.

Good luck
SAP284

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't try an auto body nope. I have some stuff being delivered tomorrow. if all else fails ill stop in and see Blaine. I'll also check out that website. Thanks guys appreciate the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: