CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: in Search of BOWFIN!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
camojammin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: in Search of BOWFIN! Reply with quote

im from the haddam area, local tot he haddam meadows, but alas my boat isnt ready for the water, anyone know and shore access for some good bowfin action, tackle to use, or baits.lures... really appreciate and info
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never caught a bowfin in CT but on lake champlain i've caught a couple. Both fish were caught on night crawlers and i've caught them in very shallow water, I think they like to sit in the shallows and sun themselves.

They're probably one of the best fighting freshwater fish around here, good luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: in Search of BOWFIN! Reply with quote

camojammin wrote:
im from the haddam area, local tot he haddam meadows, but alas my boat isnt ready for the water, anyone know and shore access for some good bowfin action, tackle to use, or baits.lures... really appreciate and info

You'd need your boat, but there are bowfin in the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal, which is directly across the Connecticut River from the boat launch at Haddam Meadows. The entrance to the canal is about 1-1/2 miles downriver. You'd need to go past it and enter it a few hundred yards downriver from the mouth or you'd risk hitting the shallow sandbar on the upriver side.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 24 inch Bowfin a few weeks ago in the weathersfield area while striper fishing using a big piece of chunk bait on a striper leader. I put up a picture a few posts down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caught two at keeney cove a few weeks ago. Both 16" +. When the river goes back down there have been a bunch caught at the cove lately
snap fisher777

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimberultra wrote:
Caught two at keeney cove a few weeks ago. Both 16" +. When the river goes back down there have been a bunch caught at the cove lately
I fish keeney cove all the time last year I caught two big 17 inchers and my neighbor caught a 14 incher.
camojammin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fished keeney atleast once a week last year and nothing but sunnys and cats... as for the yankee river... i have to get rid of my boat... just cant afford to keep it and reg it and get the license to run it... but ever since i found out bowfin were in ct waters i have wanted to catch one
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: