CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Fluking? Braid vs Mono...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimiChanga

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Fluking? Braid vs Mono... Reply with quote

Hi there fluke fans...

Lately when I have been going out on the boats, it seems that everyone else is out catching me. The setup I've been using is; 30lb. Power Pro main line, a 40lb clear leader a 4/0 hook with either a chartreuse or a pink skirt.

The rest of the boat is using "house rigs" which are just a bare hook & mono main line. I also was thinking that possibly the sunscreen is being a deterrent? But I put that on before I leave the house & wash hands thoroughly.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be doing things right as far as the gear is concerned. I myself use 20lb braid with 20lb fluoro leaders. There's way too much info to give on hittin fluke consistently, so if you'd like some information about how we do it, PM me. But I have a few questions:

It seems you're fishing on a charter boat for em. Right? And as far as your rig goes, how heavy is your weight compared to how deep you're fishing? And maybe you forgot to mention it, but are you using bait with the skirt? If so, what? And are you getting hits with no hookups or nothing at all? You're doing something wrong, but we'll figure it out. You won't get skunked next time.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
SeanMorrissey

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: squid Reply with quote

squid with an 4-5 oz weight on a fluke rig, and a bait caster reel. You have to keep your thumb on the line the whole time, and you feel them grab it, and you can feel the bottom of the ocean. I caught 3 keepers using just squid, and a weight on a fluke rig.
RobO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimi,

I use 40lb Power Pro Slick attached to a barrel swivel that is then attached to the fluke rig or 3 feet of 20lb mono to the bucktail.

I keep the 40lbs braid on the rod. . It is thin enough, yet strong for multiple species.

I noticed a big difference when I switched rods. I went from the boat rentals to my own lighter rod and instantly felt bottom better and noticed every hit.

Also I try and go as light as possible on the sinkers. I was on a boat once using 8ounce sinkers and didn't feel anything hit, yet my bait was always stolen. After a couple of hours of that, I switch to a 6 ounce and felt the nibbles.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:01 am    Post subject: Light tackle Reply with quote

My uncle uses incredibly light rods from his boat. Better feel for sure. I expected heavier gear but he prefers light. He also loves bringing in Mahi Mahi as well on the light gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: