CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Blue crabs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jayk18

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Blue crabs Reply with quote

I am looking to go blue crabbing fir the first time since I was a kid and was wondering if anyone knew what is the best way to go and where to go
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been blue crabbing only a couple of times. There's a very large area off of the boat launch ramp at Monahan Place in West Haven that's less than three feet deep, and perfect for spotlighting and netting blue crabs at night:

http://www.ctfishtalk.com/blue-crabbing-west-haven-08-05-t7609.html#.UYG1ffzD-00

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Netting is definitely the most productive way to do it. You can wade with a headlamp or flashlight or do it from a small boat.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

park on trout lake drive in westbrook CT look on google maps satalite to see the picture theres a salt pond there. go at low tide hide a net in the mud. tie chicken on the line of a fishing pole. cast it out and lure them in one by one slowly over the net, scoop the net up. it takes some skill but they will keep coming back till you get it. the site wont let me post the link to the map

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=google+maps+madison+ct&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89e63193ba16f32f:0x1a3164fe6e51abe,Madison,+CT&gl=us&ei=9dyBUf2SIqnq0wH4uIHoDA&ved=0CDMQ8gEwAA

look for trout lake dr

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can I get the jigs to hook the chicken tp
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayk18 wrote:
Where can I get the jigs to hook the chicken tp

tie the chicken to the line, sorry for jumping in

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the pond is a salt water pond there is crab in it
clinteastwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was a kid in the late 70's the Housy was full of them. When fishing we would drop crab traps that sprung open. Let them down for 10 minutes and then jerk them up and they would close up full of blue crabs. Ah the memories. I think I gave those traps away years ago but they worked well.
flippy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I saw this post and had to reply,, a few years ago I was in RI at misquamicut (cant spell it) crabbing off the breakwall,,this elderly lady was sitting on a 5 gallon pail next to me laughing at my chicken and line technique,, I asked her what was so funny,, she told me I was missing some great crab,, I asked her how she did it,,when she pulled in the line I was shocked,,she had knee high nylons, filled with chicken parts,with a rock also in there with 5 or 6 crabs tangled in the nylons,,the freakin crabs were all tangled up,,Give it a try,,knee high nylons at CVS,,chicken whatever,,a rock or a weight,,put everything,, chicken and rock in nylon, knot it and tie your string to the knot,, throw it out,, ps,,you will go threw some nylons,, so get them on sale,,or if you could get used ones from ,,mom,,girlfriend,,wife,,its like recycling,,lol,,really,, try it,,Jim
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flippy wrote:
Ok, I saw this post and had to reply,, a few years ago I was in RI at misquamicut (cant spell it) crabbing off the breakwall,,this elderly lady was sitting on a 5 gallon pail next to me laughing at my chicken and line technique,, I asked her what was so funny,, she told me I was missing some great crab,, I asked her how she did it,,when she pulled in the line I was shocked,,she had knee high nylons, filled with chicken parts,with a rock also in there with 5 or 6 crabs tangled in the nylons,,the freakin crabs were all tangled up,,Give it a try,,knee high nylons at CVS,,chicken whatever,,a rock or a weight,,put everything,, chicken and rock in nylon, knot it and tie your string to the knot,, throw it out,, ps,,you will go threw some nylons,, so get them on sale,,or if you could get used ones from ,,mom,,girlfriend,,wife,,its like recycling,,lol,,really,, try it,,Jim

That's awesome. To think all the years I've sat there with a line and piece of chicken neck, picking them off one at a time.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
flippy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me To,,, They try so hard to get away,, but they get so tankled
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: