CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Just a little surf gear help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Theminnow23

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Just a little surf gear help Reply with quote

So I've been out trying to fish the surf recently. Finally getting away from the freshwater largemouth and small pith tourneys. I have the rod but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation of a good surf bag and waders. I have been using a friend of mines spare pair and feel as though its time to get my own.

Thanks for the help in advance guys. Tails up
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best advice I can give you is to go to a place like Cabelas and try some on. Even if you don't purchase there, you can get an idea of sizing and brands you like. I've got several pair, and the one pair I ordered online on closeout I hate. Buy stockingfoot and get yourself a pair of Korker boots with the interchangeable soles. I've got 3& 5mm neoprenes that are hooter than hell unless you're fishing late in the season or upstate NY. Best bet is a pair of breathables with lots of room for a good pair of thermal and fleece pants. As for the bags, I'm not really particular. I like to carry a ton of crap though, not like some guys who have bags big enough to carry a few plugs and that's it.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always remember your safety gear as well. A wading belt is a good start. Especially without neoprenes. Keeps your waders from fillin up so fast if you happen to take a spill. A rope for if you or a buddy get washed out. And a whistle to let others around you know you're in distress. Light is the obvious one. Not only for seein what you're doin at night, but to let someone know where you are if you do go down.

Good luck. Stay safe

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Amotha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much do u wana spend in the bag?
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the surf bag on Amazon for about $35 for a 10 bay bag with pockets and get your waders at LL Bean! I bought waders from Csbelas years ago and when they leaked the fidnt want to know anything about me. My second pair was from Llbeanand when I accidently burned them they still sent me s new pair no charge for them or shipping and had them in 3 days! They even up graded the waders to an improved. pair as the 1's I bought were cheaper now and the next level up was the same price as I payed for the ones I burned. I can't say enough about llbean!!!!!!!

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Theminnow23

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Should I get neoprene waders? Also I found this wfo bag does anyone have it?
SheltonTom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the LL Bean waders a few weeks ago for my birthday. I think fishfinder recommended them to me while i was unknowingly fishing next to him on the Housy/Naugy. I remember the cigarette burn. I have the breathables and love them. Comfortable, steady on the boots and easy to get around in.

I just picked up a 9 foot Tica from Cabela's. Nice rod, handles well. At $85, a reasonable price. i have it paired with a Shimano Baitmaster, but since i don't chunk very often I am tempted to pick up a Penn rebel.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon does nopt have any of the plug bags I was referring to available for sale anymore but Harborview bait and Tackle in Stratford sells them for the same price about which is around $35. It has 10 bays for plugs, a pocket on the side and 4 little pockets in the front for jigs or small stuff. I love mine and bought 2 and they last!!! Adjustable strap also and has velcro belt straps if you want to strap it to your wader belt.

Aroz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Amazon does nopt have any of the plug bags I was referring to available for sale anymore but Harborview bait and Tackle in Stratford sells them for the same price about which is around $35. It has 10 bays for plugs, a pocket on the side and 4 little pockets in the front for jigs or small stuff. I love mine and bought 2 and they last!!! Adjustable strap also and has velcro belt straps if you want to strap it to your wader belt.

what brand is the surf bag? Or could you upload a picture so i can better know what it looks like that way i know when i find it?

thanks for the input on the plug bag btw!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure of the name but I'll try and shoot a pic tonight for ya!

bassinthesalt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U could get a F.J. Neil bag they are cool looking and pretty nice for cheap
fishfinder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if this link works, they are sold out on Amazon but like I said Harborview B&T has this 1 and a 5 bay bag there or at least did a few days ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FS4YB2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Aroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
See if this link works, they are sold out on Amazon but like I said Harborview B&T has this 1 and a 5 bay bag there or at least did a few days ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FS4YB2/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Awesome - thanks for the link FF!
Theminnow23

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it. Hope to see some of you guys out there fishing
dogfishhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my most recent bag from Rivers End Tackle in Old Saybrook. Got a ten bay bag with 4 front pockets for tins and bucks, and two side pouches for leaders and misc. stuff. $50 seems like a fair deal to me...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: