CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: WestHIll 7-3-13 , you shoud of joined me
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limeymotors

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: WestHIll 7-3-13 , you shoud of joined me Reply with quote

I got to WsetHill about 5:30 just in time to see a womans paddleboard yoga class takeing up the entier boat launch. Two guys with boat trailers and me with my Yak had to wait 20 minutes until they all got there PFD's and paddles in the water. Let me tell you how upset the three of us were haveing to wait watching 20+ women in yoga pants and tank tops run around the ramp. man I 'll tell you. lol. Once i got in the water and slowed my heart rate down a bit. the water temp at the surface was 76 degrees F. I paddled out a bit trolling a small trout spoon and a spoon/spinner. No hits on them but I did find many fish on my HumminBird and all were 22 feet deep or deeper. So I gave up on the trout and paddeled out to a spot the locals call " Teddybear". Of course I waved to the Yoga class on my way buy Just to be polite.
I set up a Drop-shot rig, a weighted "wacky" rig and a Swimmer bait. I got a few hits and two LMB in my yak, both on the drop-shot. First one was 18", thin and had a strange spot on its side. the next LMB was 15" but looked like it was eating healthy. I ran into a few freinds on the lake pontoon boating with their family. watched the BoyScout camp blast each other with fire hoses then finaly paddled back to the ramp about 8:30. My only disapointment was the Yoga class had already left by the time I paddled back. here's a few pictures. -Duncan

Hope you all had good a day as I had. -Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like an entertaining day!
SAP284

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week I was working doing my territory visits, in Winsted, and saw the sign for West Hill. I had never been there so I went up the hill and checked it out. The water was very choppy and rough, didn't seem that windy though. I see from your pics it looks choppy too. Is the water always like that? Just curious.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of the yoga class?
fishinschmoe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West Hill is ALWAYS windy. not sure if it is the hills on the west side, or what, but Ive never had a calm day there. noteworthy also.. limit on motor size in there! its popular, and they check! supposedly, you need to remove the prop. and jam the motor so you can't even think of using it.

needless to say, I drive by now on my way to the ponds further west.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your day! I kinda enjoy the rich sun bathers on Candlewood myself LOL! But you mentioned the weird spot. I fished Bantam this week and pulled in a 3lb LM with a large black blotch on its mouth and gill. I know DEEP put weed killer Bantam not long ago. I have no doubt that lake residents are illegally doing the same.

I'll be following a weed line then come across a stretch of dead weeds then more healthy weeds as I move along.

Wondering if the weed killer isn't having some drastic affect on the fish.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice the black spots on and below the LMB's gills?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Notice the black spots on and below the LMB's gills?

From what I read, those blotches are some type pigmentation discoloration, but supposedly healthy. I got this from an article online.

"So, what are the spots and are they anything to worry about? The condition is termed hyperpigmented melanosis, which is a fancy term for pigment discoloration. The condition seems to occur in larger adult fish more often than juveniles. The spots don't appear to be permanent. Often, the coloration often returns to normal after a period of time. And, researchers have found the fish exhibiting the spots seem to be otherwise very healthy."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: