CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: what was It?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toonces

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: what was It? Reply with quote

i fished my backyard ponds yesterday evening and took up at the outlet which feeds to a big river. the water was up thanks to the rain and there were people already fishing so i picked an opening between a couple trees and started casting. i guess the water had just recently receded from where i was standing b/c i lost my feet and almost slid into the drink on my ass. i got up and stood back a couple feet hoping no one saw that.

i was pitching a wacky worm upstream and as it drifted in front of me on the next cast, i felt the tug and set the hook. i know LMB occupy this part of the outlet and usually stack up here waiting for a meal and that's what i thought i had until it started peeling off drag in a crazy burst of speed. it went upstream against the current forcing me to reach around the tree to my right since i was about to slip down the bank again. i thought i had it as it went kinda limp but instead, it peeled off again, this time downstream and right into the base of the tree to my left where it came loose.

i couldn't express my thoughts at that very moment as kids were around but needless to say, i was a little disappointed. i was using a 3000-size Stradic and 7' inshore rod and the biggest fish i've caught with this setup is a 30" striper. whatever i hooked yesterday surely ran harder that that fish by a long shot. i was thinking, '@&@#^#&#!!!, tighten the drag!!!' when it started to take off so i think i was screwed from the get go. plus, no room to play the fish didn't help.

anyhow, any guesses as to what i was? do pike reside in this type of area and do they fight like that, or maybe a big trout? i've been thinking about this thing non-stop and want to take a heavier stick back to the pond to try and nab it again (yes, wishful thinking). gonna empty my pockets and jump in after it if i have to!
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing you said "a big river", possibly the CTR, then it was either a pike or channel catfish. Possibility of a carp too.

If it wasn't the CTR, then I'd say carp.
PECo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern pike or bowfin.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name of the river would narrow it down but i think that Michael and PECo covered my guesses.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
scotcho05

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have had several carp do this to me with light tackle...thats my educated guess
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotcho05 wrote:
Have had several carp do this to me with light tackle...thats my educated guess

The only carp that I've ever hooked pulled more like a tractor than a drag racer. The crazy burst of speed and change of direction says northern pike to me. In any case, I'd like to get me some of that. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say tarpon... or mahi... Idk, you didn't really specify the river.

But a carp will hit an artificial and will fight like that. Though its usually the smaller fish that pull like that. In the area of 15lbs. ESPECIALLY the males. The larger fish upwards of 30lbs usually fight like a tractor, as Peco put it.

You can never judge the size of a fish by how hard previous fish have fought. I gotta 31in striper last night a was convinced was a skate til it popped off on the shore and dinner almost swam away.

As far as your fish, I'd say carp, but it coulda been any of the fish everyone's named so far. And if its the CT river you speak of, then that includes tarpon and mahi Laughing

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: