CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Fishing
Viewing Topic: Farmington/Salmon brook Tarrifville
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Farmington/Salmon brook Tarrifville Reply with quote

It looks like Sunday a few other kayakers and myself will be launching from Tarrifville park and will see what we get from Pickrel pond,Salmon brook and the Farmington. The others have been catching some nice trout lately and plan on doing a little bassin this time.
I will have a follow-up report when i return.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Gee_Boog

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That stretch of water is amazing! Soooo many bass and surprisingly little fishing pressure. I'm headed there today to try and steal some SMB on my new Rapalas. You ever work the area by the old bridge pilings downstream from the TVille park?
avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never tried by the old bridge.I was there today on a scouting mission.Did i pass you on the road.I have a maroon GMC with a yellow kayak on top.
around. 11:00 am?
That was the first time i went there.I went into pickrel pond then up the salmon brook.
Ended up with 1 trout that i lost,3tiny largemouths,4lg fallfish and about 9 little smallies. Tomorrow morning we plan on putting in on 189 the east branch salmon brook and getting out at Tarrifville park.
STAY TUNED FOR MORE!

All fish were caught on a 3 inch Berkley power minnow.I used an eagle claw 2 way spinner but,don't think it is really necessary.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Last edited by avidangler on Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we put in at 7:30 am and hit a log jam that we had to port around the first bend.As soon as we got out we were SWARMED by deer flies.EVERY shady spot that we passed through...It was either bake in the sun or get attacked by flies.
We made it to where the East and West branches meet after porting around 3 log jams and not one of us got a thing up to that point.
As we made our way towards Granville park the river widened a little and got much deeper.It was then that we ALL started catching fish.
Between the 4 of us we threw in-line spinners,flies,small spoons and the power minnows that worked for me yesterday.Today i rigged it on a 1/16 lunker city jig head.We all caught fish.from Fallfish....smallmouths....and 2 nice rainbows that (jesse) and i caught.Both were about 15 inches.
Around 2:00pm we reached the Farmington river. I didn't take any fish pictures today(was too busy chasing off the deer flies.
The brook was very nice....minus the deer flies.
It was shallow but,every bend had a deep hole with fish in it.
All in all it was a fun day discovering new waters.

PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about meeting you guys out there, but ended up paddling Bantam River and Little Pond with mep21 (aka Mark). I paddled up Salmon Brook from the Farmington River once, but didn't see any fish and turned around before I reached Floydville Road.

You meant 189 when you said you were going to put into the Salmon River at 187, right?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was 189 and not 187 made the correction.
You probably didn't see the fish but,they are there if you probe the pools.
you would have been more than welcome to join us PECo or any ine else for that matter.Hence the post made on friday.It was a small brook and we had to spread out but it was great.
Not a single person was seen until Granville park where there was 1 fisherman then, 2 kayakers at the mouth of the salmon brook.
Did you make it to the pump station below the Floyville road bridge?
It's quite a workout when you get past the bridge and shore access is near to impossible. Next we are looking at either Riverton to NewHartford (the entire TMA section. or below the gorge to rainbow resevior...or...below the resevior to the Ct river..
I will give a heads up when the decision is made in case anyone cares to join us.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: