CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Bantam River and Little Pond 07/07
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Bantam River and Little Pond 07/07 Reply with quote

I paddled and fished Bantam River and Little Pond with mep21 (aka Mark) on Sunday. We got on the river at the canoe launch off of Whites Wood Road in the White Memorial wildlife sanctuary in Litchfield:

When we arrived, there weren't any other cars in the parking lot. I enjoyed a handful of blackberries from a bush next to the launch for breakfast:

There were a couple of sunnies on beds right next to the launch:

I paddled my Hurricane Santee 116 Sport, El Habañero, while Mark paddled his Old Town Vapor 12 XT Angler. We knew that it would be sunny and buggy, so we applied plenty of sunscreen and DEET bug spray before we launched at 7:00 am. Although Mark had been on Bantam River before, he had never fished Little Pond, so we headed upriver into the glare of the rising sun:

I caught the first fish at 7:10 am with a wacky rigged Black with Blue Flake and Blue Tip five inch Senko:

As has often been the case this year, the largemouth bass were more apt to hit a slowly presented lure than a fast moving one. I got three more largemouth bass with the wacky Senko before Mark finally boated one with a Zoom Horny Toad at 7:43 am:

We finally made it to Little Pond at 8:20 am:

Unfortunately, we found bubby green nitrate-fed algae, super thick weeds and huge lily pads:

I paddled into the lily pads, couldn't turn around and had to paddle back out backwards. Shocked We had the river and pond to ourselves until 9:00 am, when we finally spotted some other paddlers. I threw a Zoom Horny Toad over the pads, the weeds and the algae. Although I got a few small hits, I didn't get any bites. Well, not until 9:05 am:

Although I had finally gotten a fish in Little Pond, the bite was so disappointing that we decided to head back into the river and down to Bantam Lake. Next to one of the many beaver lodges along the river, I boated a rock bass:

We continued to boat the occasional small largemouth bass as we headed downriver. It wasn't until 10:06 am that I boated a largemouth bass worth weighing in the shade of a culvert next to another beaver lodge:

What turned out to be my lunker largemouth bass was only 15-1/2 inches long, but she was a two pound, one ounce fatty. As Mark and I got closer to the canoe launch, we finally got a double:

Whoo hoo! Very Happy And then I caught a largemouth bass that met the minimum (maximum?) dinker qualification length of six inches or less:

After we passed the canoe launch, we continued down the river, but the bite pretty much died. However, Mark caught his lunker largemouth bass. It was 16-1/2 inches long and weighed two pounds, one ounce, which tied mine. Although Mark would insist that his was the lunker because of its length, I think mine was prettier, because she was a fatty. Cool We eventually made it down to the beaver dam near the mouth of the river:

The water level in Bantam Lake is so high that it was an extremely easy paddle over the dam. The southwest wind raised a pretty good chop on the lake:

As much as I dislike the wind when I'm paddling, it sure felt good. By the time that we headed back upriver over the dam, Mark and I were both overheated, thirsty and hungry, so we paddled straight back to the canoe launch. When we arrived there, we hit the rush hour. I had been on Bantam River more than a dozen times over the last three years and had never seen the parking lot so full. We had to dodge kayak and canoe traffic that was both getting onto and getting off from the water. We were off of the water by 3:15 pm. I have to say, that first glass of ice water at the Village Restaurant in Litchfield was the best I've ever had.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After SEEING the pictures of little bantam,I'm glad i didn't go this evening.
Weeds are one thing but,ALGAE!?!?! That makes things terrible.
Glad you guy's had a good day and didn't have a day long battle with the deer flies. Wink

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
Glad you guy's had a good day and didn't have a day long battle with the deer flies. Wink

I got only two bites from deer flies all day and never even noticed any mosquitos, but we were well covered with DEET.

The largemouth bass bite was pretty steady in the stretch of the river between the canoe launch and the pond, although they were small. I probably caught 20 largemouth bass and four rock bass. Surprisingly, Mark caught the only two chain pickerel that we saw all day and they were dinky. As expected with the very warm water, there was no sign of any northern pike.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good day even though the bite was slow.

How big was that rock bass in the pic Phil?
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
Sounds like a good day even though the bite was slow.

How big was that rock bass in the pic Phil?

Even though the heat and humidity were oppressive, it's always a good day when you're out on the water. Very Happy

The rock bass was healthy and chunky, but not particularly big. East Twin Lake has the monster rock bass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: