CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: need some help with gear (and a story)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
limeymotors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: need some help with gear (and a story) Reply with quote

At 36 years old I'm sorta new to fishing. I fished a lot as a kid with my step dad but stoped when I discovered girls and Motorcycles. In the winter of 2011 I picked up a few Kayaks and planed on useing them for family time at a lake or something. In the spring of 2012 a cousin invited me to Kayak fish lake Champlain with him. I had no intrest in fishing but wanted to try out my newly acquired kayak ,so I agreed. I grabed a rod and reel from a pawn shop and a box of tackle from a tag sale and headed up to New York with no intentions of fishing Ijust wanted to paddle. I I hooked a big ole lake trout and instently fell in love with Kayak fishing. I have tried fishinf rom shore since and it dosen't have the same thrill of Kayak fishing. Being a father of four with a house and two dogs there was little money to get gear for my new hobie So... I then picked up every broken rod and reel at every tag sale I saw. I joined MysteryTaclke Box.com and started to fill my boxes. I modified my Walden Scout Kayak to beter suit fishing from it. All my gear is used, taped togather broken , mix-matched junk, but It works fine and all I can afford. My Mother ,noticing my new passion saved her pennies and with help from her co-workers and the salesman at Cabells She bought me for Christmas a brand new Abu Garica rod with a Daiwa reel. Now I always felt that my duct taped, second hand stuff was fine and it caught many a fish. But I didn't relize how much of a diference good quialty gear makes. My new rod and reel are sooo smooth and nice. I now understand how a few dollars spent can make a much better time on the water.
Here's the bad part. While loading my gear in someone eles truck a tail gate got closed on my new AbuGarica rod and broke it just below the second Eyelet. I was crushed, upset and angry but I'm over that now and just want it fixed but i know I cant duct tape this one.
Are you still reading? good here's my questions.

1) Can I buy just the top half of a rod? and how do I go about doing that?
2) What are some good medium action spining rods that I can afford $ 30 - $60 price range?
3) What are some thing(name brand, signs of wear, junk to avoid) I should look for when I hit up the tag sales for more rod and reels ?
4) what stores/shops can I trust the salesman to help me with picking out quailty gear at good price?
5) I hear a lot about he brand UglyStick. Good and bad what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help
Tight lines -Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duncan,
First check with AG about their replacement costs.
http://www.abugarcia.com/support/service
even though it's not a defect, many manufacturers replace rods or uppers for around $25.
I doubt there are many fishermen who don't have or had an Ugly Stick at some point. They are tough and inexpensive. They don't have the touch or sensitivity of more expensive rods, but don't let anyone convince you that they won't catch fish. Several Wright & McGill Rods are on sale now for around $60. I'm sure others will throw in lots of advice. As for tag sales, keep an eye out for older Penn stuff in good, as the parts are easy to get. As for shops, depends on where you are.

Tight Lines,
RNA
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what RNA said, an ugly stick worked for me for years. Dicks normally always has some clearance rods and cabelas does also in there bargain cave area. I agree nice rod and reel does make some difference when fishing, but not one fish that I have caught on a 30$ rod has ever judged me Very Happy

Also for reels, if your shopping second hand look for good gear ratios and a good drag.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Stripedhunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should check out the consignment store on Silas Deane, the one that closer to Red Lobsters. The have rod and reel for very cheap, i bought. St. Croix there for $40.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have a medium power 6 foot Ugly Stick but have fallen in love with the IM-7 Daiwa Triforce 6 footer, which is cheaper. Aamzon currently has it listed for only $25.48.

Ebay always has the best deals on reels imo. Even though PENN reels are considered saltwater, certain models can still be used for fresh. I have a Fierce 3000 on my 6 footer that I got for only $42.99 on Ebay. I have found the Fierce lineup to be the best between the Pursuit, Fierce, and Sargus.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this general question or specific to fresh or salt? Excuse me if I missed where you stated it if you did.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
RobO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend an Ugly Stik.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Kmart near you, you might check out the Berkeley Cherrywood rods. They are on sale this month for 50% off. Usually $20, sale at 9.99. I'm thinking about getting one or 2 just because. Like you, a broken tip is just one "oops" away and a spare would be handy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally hate ugly sticks for their performance but their durability is very good. At dicks sporting goods in Danbury there is a Daiwa rod and reel combo its all black and its a pretty nice rod and reel combo for 50$. You can also replace the tip with repair kits which has instructions and is pretty easy and inexpensive to do. Brands to look out for are definitely Shimano, St. Croix, G. Loomis, Penn (usually saltwater). Some brands I stray away from due to quality is Berkley, store brand rods (if they're cheap), and eagle claw (I think eagle claws bought over by Berkley). Also if your reels sticky and grinding you can take it apart and put some lube inside and it'll feel like its brand new. Most bait stores can do that for you without charge since its pretty easy. BUT before I do anything id make sure to give the company a call and tell them the story and most times they'll replace the rod without charge or they'll at least fix it for you. My favorite company is Shimano they will replace everything for you and their rods and reels are very nice quality. When at tag sales look at the guides and check if all the wrapped thread is the same color if its different color on a guide then it might've been repaired from damage and could be weaker than average. Best online stores I think are Cabelas, L.L. bean, and Bass Pro shops. And I do not think its possible to buy just the second half of a rod unfortunately. Sorry my answers are scattered, hope I helped!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself had 4 9' medium heavy saltwater ugly sticks, 2 broke on me, 1 with a 18 lb striper on in a little current. The other broke while trying to get a snag out which I really didn't think I was putting much pressure on. I don't recommend them myself especially if you an on doing any surfcasting as they are very heavy.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself had 4 9' medium heavy saltwater ugly sticks, 2 broke on me, 1 with a 18 lb striper on in a little current. The other broke while trying to get a snag out which I really didn't think I was putting much pressure on. I don't recommend them myself especially if you an on doing any surfcasting as they are very heavy.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is up with these dble posts??? I only hit submit 1 freakin time!!!!

Last edited by fishfinder on Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:

I wouldn't want to do a ton of casting with US surf rod due to weight, but they are fine for chunking. You broke TWO? Shocked Any rod can break, but you'll have a hard time convincing me they aren't more durable than anything on the market in the under $100 range. I don't think it's close. I can dead lift a 25lb. plate with a Hatteras Jack custom jigging rod that weighs a fraction of a Shimano Trevala, but the rod is about $350-400, and it will break if you lift the tip too high.

I'm pretty sure Limey is looking for freshwater. Cabelas has house brands that are around $30 for IM6 rods. They have 13 casting and almost 30 spinning in the $30-$49 range.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
limeymotors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contected AbuGarica through Email and they got back to me right away. Unforntaly there's nothing they can do to help because the damage was my fault. but Hey at least they were polite. Thanks for all the great answers guys. i mostly fish fresh water. a few times a year I 'll paddle the sound I just use my same gear. Thanks for all the suggestions I'll be shopping for a new rod soon. -Duncan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought he was talking fresh but that pic of his yak sure looks like surf rods!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: