CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Sandy and Bait
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Sandy and Bait Reply with quote

Site member Junkie (aka Jose) recently mentioned to me that one possible reason why there's not much bait out there right now is because of Sandy.

He said the time of year when Sandy hit the shoreline is when certain local baitfish are supposed to be spawning. Sandy might have interrupted their spawning stage causing there to be a low amount of bait right now.

How many think Sandy could have something to do with the amount of bait and the bite right now?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all the rain and dirty water. Before that first big rainstorm, bait was all over, squid were running, blues were filling into the Race, Plum Gut, etc., and stripers were hitting on the reefs. They are having a banner year in RI, up the canal and around the Cape. Many of the migratories likely continued north. I'm fishing RI this weekend. To be fair, big stripers are around in numbers. Myerson just landed a 73+.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RNA. It started slowly picking IP early this week after a few days of not much rain and then this crap started back and it dropped tight back off.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with RNA. It started slowly picking IP early this week after a few days of not much rain and then this crap started back and it dropped tight back off.

stripertime

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with fishfinder and redneck it was the rain and bunker spawn in the spring like all other fish here in the northeast if they spawned in the fall the babies would die in the winter because they would not be strong enough to make the long swim south
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the 3 of you.

Bridgeport got a total of around 9.5 inches of rain in June and within the past week there's been a number of storms and heavy downpours making things dirty again. I was on a roll with bluefish and stripers and bunker were very thick until the day before that 4 inches of rain in June. Since then it has been very slow with hardly any bait.

Heavy rains in northern New England have caused water to rush down the CTR and into LIS making the water dirty. Same issue with the storms and heavy rains in Litchfield County and the Berkshires causing issues with the Housie.

I find that when you get lots of rain and a number of heavy downpours, harbors and inner areas get dirty which causes the predators and bait to be pushed out into the deeper waters and middle of the Sound. You need at least 1 week of dry weather before water gets cleaner and fish start moving back to shore.
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to all the bluefish?

I see many are catching big stripers in the deeper waters without running into a bluefish.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another downpour tonight! WTF is all this about and someone please make it stop!!!!!!

Sea Duck

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry FF...I have purposely refrained from exercising my normal rainmaking abilities and still. it rains! What have you been eating lately. Perhaps CD needs to review your diet to identify bad luck food combining. Sometimes it is not obvious and the counter measures can be quite complex.
SD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still eating the same Yogurts that used to bring good luck, maybe that yogurt is time limited!

Michael

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Genna and I fished the Reef early this morning. Water was a stained brownish green color and water was very choppy on the Bridgeport side.

Other than the rain, another issue has been the gusty marine winds making waters choppy causing the water and sand, shells, weeds, etc to all mix together.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: