CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Candlewood: help please!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Candlewood: help please! Reply with quote

Before I start asking questions, I understand that everyone has secret lures/spots and if you don't want to disclose them that is completely fine.

So, this is my first year fishing Candy and I love it so far, beautiful lake, clean, plenty of potential good fishing spots. The problem is I've never fished anything this big before and my small lake/pond tactics are not working. My first trip out I caught a few decent size smallies and a largemouth but have had trouble since. I know I need to put in the "time and work" into finding the fish but I feel more and more helpless each time I go out. There are multiple tournaments a weekend here so there has to be fish right! Here is what I have been doing this summer (any criticism is accepted!)

-fishing every shallow cove with various rapala's, spinners and plastic worms
-fishing next to docks with gary yamamoto's
-fishing shallow areas marked with hazard bouys (usually rocky)
-and as a last resort fishing with minnows (the only thing that seems to work!)
-also if someone could explain what dropshotting is and if its a common tactic at Candy

I understand the fishing depends on conditions (temp, weather, season), but I only have another month till I have to go back to school so I'm desperate to start landing some fish. My dad loves fishing and I've been dying to have a great day of fishing with him but we even got skunked on fathers day! I'm considering hiring a guide to take me around for a day just to see what sort of tactics he uses so that I can use them with my dad. Before I put that kind of money down I'd like to see if any of you could help me! Any tips at all would be much appreciated and if you'd rather PM me go ahead. Thanks in advance!

-Sean
Michael

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're trying to throw various Rapalas. Do you have any deep divers than can get down 10+ feet?

Trolling slowly with deep diving Rapalas can also work. Lures such as JSR-7, SRRS-5, SR-9, MR-9, TD-9, GSR-5, JDHJ-12, FR-5, DHJ-10, and XRS-8 would all be Rapalas to consider.

This time of year bigger fish and most fish are deep or taking cover in weed beds. Fish come into the shallows more often in the evening and early morning this time of year.

Large coves and steep drop offs near islands are other places to consider.
Jeff

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find some nice drop offs in the middle of the lake. Work a jig or soft plastic up the drop and you should land some fish.

The best docks to fish are the ones that have rails/supports in the water. I have much better luck fishing those than the floating docks. Most people have the floating docks though.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danbury Bay west shore. Whacky Rig Green Pumpkin w/red flake on a #1 Circle Hook. Hit every rock and dock and hold on! When you master that I'll give you a few more spots. Top Water and Drop Shot. I'm still learning the Jigs.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from the others. I mostly use Rapalas and troll deep as it is a deep lake but yes there are a lot of tournaments up there. It's also hit or miss with the weather. I just went out yesterday 7/13 and only got a couple of fish, one bass one yellow perch all morning. The Friday before I had off from work and was working the same area and could not keep a line in the water. Fishing was explosive, but then 7/13 a cold front came through and it throws things off. I have a lot of plastics I would like to try but when I go I don't have a lot of time. A few hours most days so I stick to what usually works for me. Hopefully some day I'll have the time to spend a whole day up there.
nories

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishallday,,All techniques will work at Candy,, I know guys that flip, drop shot, crank,,etc,,I guess all that I can tell you is that you have to spend time on the water or go out with somebody that knows the lake and will take time to show you,, I have fished Candy for years,, I would be happy to go out,, My old username was flippy,,and yes I LOVE TO FLIP,,I dont know why my new computer wouldnt let me get on under my old username,,I think my girlfriend really messed something up,,lol,,I will send you a pm,,
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nories wrote:
Fishallday,,All techniques will work at Candy,, I know guys that flip, drop shot, crank,,etc,,I guess all that I can tell you is that you have to spend time on the water or go out with somebody that knows the lake and will take time to show you,, I have fished Candy for years,, I would be happy to go out,, My old username was flippy,,and yes I LOVE TO FLIP,,I dont know why my new computer wouldnt let me get on under my old username,,I think my girlfriend really messed something up,,lol,,I will send you a pm,,

Well that's messed up.WOMEN! ALWAYS have to mess around with things.
Good to know your still on here"flippy" even if you had to change your name.I enjoy hearing your input on things.......nories....love the stories. Wink

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
nories wrote:

Well that's messed up.WOMEN! ALWAYS have to mess around with things.
Good to know your still on here"flippy" even if you had to change your name.I enjoy hearing your input on things.......nories....love the stories. Wink
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nories wrote:

No better way to learn a new body of water than with a guide who's fished it for years. Flippy' offer will shorten the leaning curve a whole lot.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
FishAllDay

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: took my dad out and we drop shotted minnows in various drop offs and hooked into a few! Nothing special yet but I'll try to perfect the technique and find the money holes. Thanks a ton guys!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: