CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: PENN Reels....The Good and the Bad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: PENN Reels....The Good and the Bad Reply with quote

For you surf and saltwater fishermen who have always enjoyed or started to enjoy PENN Reels, I have history with 4 models and have seen reviews online about certain ones, including the ones I have. Here's advice I have for you.

If you'd rather not spend close to $100 or more for the high class Spinfisher V, Torque, and Conquer, I'd recommend the Fierce and Pursuit even though they're inexpensive. The 4th gen Spinfisher is another.

The Battle is the reel that has the most bad reviews and a local surf fisherman has told me he had many issues with a Battle that many other reviewers have reported.

I have 2 Sargus 4000 that are 3 months old and I really liked until recently. One issue with 1 of them is the retrieve is no longer smooth. It has some grinding and has become stiff. A reviewer on PENN's website reported the same problem and have seen that same problem reported on other websites. The other Sargus 4000 recently developed an issue with the gears. While fishing the Reef with Genna recently, I'd hook into sea robins and find an issue as if the anti-reverse switch was turned to on for a short few seconds because I'd feel the reel handle go into reverse while holding onto it.

The Fierce has lived up to its name even though it is an inexpensive reel. I have 2 2000, 1 3000, and recently sold a 6000. The reason I sold the 6000 is because I have switched over to braid and don't need that big of a reel for braid. The 2 2000 I've had since February. They have seen lots of freshwater fishing, landed me a 4 1/2 pound largemouth, and one has been landing fish in the surf recently with braid. I am very impressed with the beating it can take and how smooth the retrieve and drag are. I've been using the 3000 with a 6 foot freshwater rod for largemouths and have landed a number of largemouths with no issues.

The Pursuit is consider a cheap reel by many people. Even though it is the cheapest spinning reel on PENN's lineup, I've seen it get excellent reviews and I love it myself. I've had a 4000 since June 2012 and used it from the kayak in September 2012 and surf fishing Seaside Park in October and November. I battled a number of tailors during a blitz from the kayak. I caught stripers up to 22" 6 pounds during the fall run at Seaside. Drag is very good. Retrieve isn't as smooth as the Fierce, but is still very good. It is more on the loose side. The only cheap part about the Pursuit is the exterior can show signs of wear easily when being used around rocks, pavement, etc.

One other reel is the 4th gen Spinfisher that you can still buy brand new online. I have found that reel to be average but still very good. Everything is fine like the other 2 but one issue I had for a while while using it earlier this spring was line memory with mono.

If you want an inexpensive spinning reel that is a true item and you get excellent quality for the price, my #1 choice is the Fierce. If you still want something inexpensive but rather stay low on price, I'd go with the Pursuit. If you're trying to stay under $100 but still don't mind spending a good amount, then go with the 4th gen Spinfisher.
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they all have the same gears and will all wear out quickly... Buy SHIMANO !

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crest Daddy wrote:
they all have the same gears and will all wear out quickly... Buy SHIMANO !

I have two older version Stradics and a newer Saragosa and with the exception of the anti-reverse goin on one of the stradics... I am a fan of Shimano.

I do own a penn 550 SSG, and that reel has been with me almost as long as my oldest Stradic. The graphite series of reels is a good one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly off topic but still Penn, I'm currently rocking a PENN 710z on my 8 footer. The reel looks and feels like outta the box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: