CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Porgies and SeaBass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Porgies and SeaBass Reply with quote

Has anyone else noticed the recent influx of sea bass over the last two seasons? Las year there was a ton of em, all tiny. 3-5 inches mostly. This year, there's just as many if not more. Mostly 6-8 inches with some larger specimens in the mix. Up to 11 or so inches. But to give anyone an idea of just how many, when we run into a few in a row, we move. Otherwise we get absolutely plagued by them. I'm hopin they stick around and continue to grow, making our sea bass fishery great in the next few years.

On the other hand, personally I haven't seen the numbers or porgies around this year. Not yet anyway, and definitely not the sizes i saw last year. Not sure how anyone else feels about that.

Thoughts anyone?

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont fish for any of those but I can say as a shore fisher Im not getting into many blues at all. Sometimes they are a PITA but other times they are a blast and replace the lack of bass when its hot out and the bass have gone deep. I hate them at night when Im targeting bass but miss them during the day when Im targeting them. Last year there wernt that many but this year Ive only run into about 4 or 5. Luckily every 1 Ive got was very good size but I do wish there were more around.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When member GKolyagin (aka Genna) and I were fishing Penfield Reef one morning, both of us caught a 13 inch porgy.

One day while I was fishing the Fayerweather Island jetty, I saw a fisherman throwing small pieces of sandworms for porgy and he was getting good numbers with fish ranging from 9" to 14".

As Wade said, the bluefish run hasn't been good this summer. The last time I was into bluefish was in early June when there was a good amount of bunker. That was 2 days before we got that 4"+ of rain from the remnants of Andrea and then got more and more rain. Since then not a single tailor at Seaside or Penfield.
Aroz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year i've seen some of the biggest porgy i've ever seen and in pretty decent numbers (13-19"ers)
Crest Daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone i know who goes out for porgies is DESTROYING them ...All just under to over 2lbs...

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that i dont generally target porgies. But last year this time of year we were hittin a lot while fluke fishing up to 17in or so. Just haven't seen too many in the eastern sound.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluke fishing from the surf has been slow since the season started.

Last year around this time I was getting a few from Breezy Point at Seaside Park and running into a number of 17" keepers at Penfield Reef.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: