CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Mattabessett River 7/27
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DCAJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Mattabessett River 7/27 Reply with quote

My son and I wanted to go fishing Saturday morning, so we got up around 5:00, launched the boat in Portland and hit the Mattabessett. We got to the launch about 6:00 and it was actually cool out and started fishing about 6:30 till about 10:15.

After reading Mark's (mep21) report on catching bass with a brush hog. We figured we would give it a try and it worked out pretty well. All the fish we caught were on black with red flake brush hogs.

We were able to catch 8 largemouth bass, nothing big with 4 of the fish around 13 inches and the rest smaller.

My son also caught his first bowfin that went 16 inches.

Not too long after that, he hooked into an 18 inch pickerel

Not too bad for getting out for a few hours in the morning.
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amazing how the son or daughter usually catches quantity or quality vs the father.

I've had that happen twice surf fishing with my dad. Before catching the 36" 12 pound bluefish this year, I was with my dad 3 years ago and caught a 30" 10 pound blue while he wasn't having much luck. Another time I caught 4 blues, 3 fluke, and 3 stripers while he only caught 1 blue and 1 striper.
DCAJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's true Michael. that does happen a lot.
But in this case, I think he catches the quantity or quality because he's a better fisherman than the old man. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: