CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: Fishing line advice for Abu Garcia baitcaster
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Fishing line advice for Abu Garcia baitcaster Reply with quote

I just received my new Abu Garcia silver max in the mail yesterday and need advice for type of fishing line, I have tried braid on baitcaster s and I really don't care for it. I still need something that is strong like braid.

Any suggestions?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll be fishing jigs, 25 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear. If you'll be drop shotting, six pound test P-Line Fluoroclear.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both a SilverMax and a BlackMax. I currently have 20lb Fluroclear Flurocarbon on it. However it make take some getting used to if you are not used to Fluro on a baitcaster. In my opinion it is a little harder to control than braid (on the baitcaster). I'm used to it obviously, but if its your first time beware that's all.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do you like the silver max? Any thing you don't like about it? By harder to control do you mean the braking to prevent backlashes?

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
SAP284

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Silvermax a lot. I use it every time I go out. Backlash is one issue with Fluro but the other issue is that it can become stiff at times. I guess it happens more when the line isn't wet. It tends to stay in the shape of the reel....unlike braid (braid has no memory). It also tends to happen with heavier line.

But either way in my opinion your gonna love the reel either way. Nothing I don't like about it. In fact I like how it has the flipping switch while the BlackMax doesn't. Last year I was a spinning reel guy. This year I have probably used a spinning reel 3-4 times at most. I have to start getting used to going back to spinning. Baitcasters are much easier for me to maneuver and they are quick, which I love.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: