CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: FIRST!!!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: FIRST!!! Reply with quote

I really wanted to be the first one EVER to post something in the new CARP forum Laughing

On another note, the fall carp season is just around the corner. If this fall is anythng like our spring season, it's gonna be a good one!!

Link

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is right up your alley.There are quite a few carp questions being asked.Now,they have a forum all their own.
Thanks to the site administrators for starting it.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice video! I went out for my first carp outing today. Caught nothing:(. Only had an hour with a line in the water, but I've got to work on my game plan. Carp were all over the area I was fishing, so I've just got to catch them now. What's the best type of rig to use around here? I know the bottom I'm fishing is a lot of muck. I'm going to prep the area a lot heavier next time, though I don't think I'll be matching the multiple 5 gallon buckets! Anyway, this is going to be fun. Glad we got this forum topic in here.

If there are any experienced carp angler who don't mind a newb tagging along, give me a shout!
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hair rig, slightly longer leader than usual. Maybe 10-12 inches. Mix quick oats and creamed corn in a bucket. Maybe add some water to get it a bit stickier. Use this mixture not only to throw out as chum but to mold around your weight. That not only gives a nice feed pile by your bait but helps keep your weight from plummeting into the mud.

I'm always open to any and all questions. When you get that first big'n, you'll be hooked.

PECo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great video! I watched the whole thing. And the fish were beautiful! You carpers are the hardest working fishermen out there.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have to use all that fancy gear to catch carp, I see some monster carp swimming though the windsor canal in suffield

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started out with bare minimum gear. 9ft salmon-style rods with okuma 55's for reels. Which was perfect for what we did. I mean mike even landed his record on that setup. So no, you don't need all that fancy gear. But everything has its purpose:

12 Hexalite rod - More disance on casts, light weight for less fatigue, easier to turn fish

65-80+ Baitrunner reels - Holds a lotta line for distance casts or long runs, allows fish to pick up and run with bait

Alarms w/ recievers - Not only lets you know your rod is going off, but lets you walk around or sleep while waiting

Rod Pods - Ours are very lightweight and compact for easy transportation, but lets us setup on virtually any surface with independently adjustable legs, be it grass, sand, rocks, asphalt, or even in the water

anointed130

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are as cool as ice

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustinSolak wrote:
We started out with bare minimum gear. 9ft salmon-style rods with okuma 55's for reels. Which was perfect for what we did. I mean mike even landed his record on that setup. So no, you don't need all that fancy gear. But everything has its purpose:

12 Hexalite rod - More disance on casts, light weight for less fatigue, easier to turn fish

65-80+ Baitrunner reels - Holds a lotta line for distance casts or long runs, allows fish to pick up and run with bait

Alarms w/ recievers - Not only lets you know your rod is going off, but lets you walk around or sleep while waiting

Rod Pods - Ours are very lightweight and compact for easy transportation, but lets us setup on virtually any surface with independently adjustable legs, be it grass, sand, rocks, asphalt, or even in the water

Thanks for all the input. I've mixed up a big batch of cream corn, oatmeal, and flour for tomorrow morning. I'd already selected my 9' salmon/steelhead rod as the most practical I have. Going to do some hair rigs tonight and hit it just before dawn tomorrow morning. If I like this, it will be more gadgets to spend $$ on Very Happy

I'll post up if I have any luck or not.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RNA: A few tips to keep in mind for your outing.

If you haven't pre baited the area, first thing you wanna do b4 anything is bait up. Don't over feed em. I'm not sure where you're fishing, but don't be fooled by the endless amounts of bait we pile in. Usually a bucket the night b4 and a trickle throughout the day. Few balls or scoops here and there. But thats for a weekend session. For a short session, throw in maybe a dozen balls. If its an area you know has a lotta carp, feel free to be a bit liberal with it.

Check your method balls (balls of oats, corn, etc) b4 throwing a bunch in. Make a small ball and throw it in right at shore and keep an eye on it. You WANT it to break down relatively quickly. 5 minutes is prime, but 10 or 15 is alright. If they don't break down, you have a bunch of big balls of bait out there the fish can't do anything with. Usually means too much moisture. Not enough moisture and they won't stick together. One way to tell is it shouldn't stick to your hands.

It may take a bit for the fish to get on the feed, but when they do, you'll know. Watch for subtle line movement. Usually means a fish is playin with the bait or at least moving around the vicinity of your line.

Lastly, if you do start hittin fish, keep the bait goin in. Hit a fish, throw a few more method balls in. Another fish, some more bait and so on. The biggest mistake you can make is not continuing to feed em. I know, it sounds a bit counterproductive, but they're feeding machines. Especially in spring and into fall. Fish are on average 20-25% heavier in the fall than in summer. They gorge on food b4 winter. Not keepin the bait goin in can be the difference between a 1 fish and 10 fish session.

Remember, really mucky bottom you wanna bit of a longer leader. 10-12 inches. But method balls on your weight will help out as well. And for anyone looking to do some carp fishing, method balls, pack baits, stick baits, they're a must. It allows the fish to see a pile of food rather than pick out those two kernels of corn you got on your hook.

DEFINITELY let us know how you do. If ya don't hit anything, maybe we can help ya figure out what you did wrong. If you DO hit fish, maybe we can help ya catch more Laughing

Michael

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT VIDEO!! My cat even watched it the whole time with me before leaving lol

Nice looking carps!
Desroska

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing video. You guys are hardcore. Awesome job. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: