CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Deep water bassin
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Deep water bassin Reply with quote

Generally this time of year I really struggle to catch bass I know they've moved to deeper water. I would love any tips on catching them. I don't have electronics as I fish from a small kayak. I use contour maps when I can get access to them, but they are hard to find. Ay tips would be great or even good websites to find more maps would be helpful too. Thank you all in advance
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you fish. I catch bass in the shallows and flats all summer long in several ponds. I typically fish frogs around the scum and lillies. This will certainly depend on your body of water, but don't ignore some of the shallower areas.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
x182dan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually I don't fish shallow this time of year unless I am in a shallow pond. If you ask me the bigger ones are off deep drops. Still you can catch them up under docks or weed edges. If I am fishing deep water 15+ I will used a heavy jig or a creature bait with a weight. Drop shot will also work good.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has a few maps
http://www.nesportsman.com/cgi-bin/depthmaps.pl?state=Connecticut&db=data/connmaps.txt&maps=images/CT_Depth_Maps
+ just googling the lake usually produces something.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a site with bathymetry maps provided by a collaboration between DEEP and UConn. You can click on a link for an animated map or a map w/aerial photo.

http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/fishing/general_information/lakebathymetrymaps.pdf

Cheers!
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I basically fish from shore most of the time or get my kayak onto smaller lakes.

Early morning and the evening is when the bass come into the shallows to feed and chase the bait near the surface. That's when there's a better chance for a topwater and crankbait bite.

From the later morning til the later afternoon is when bass are deeper or taking cover in weeds. Throwing a jig or soft plastic along weedlines, drop offs, shorliene weeds, and stumps would be the most productive way. Casting a deep diving crankbait along or at a drop off might also work depending on the water temps and weather.
BeersNBass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips and websites I really appreciate it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: