CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Weird Catches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marky2002S

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Weird Catches Reply with quote

I noticed there wasn't a thread for weird catches in lakes so figured I would go ahead and create one. A few years ago on lake Quassapaug in Middlebury I caught a mussel on a spinner bait, closed the shell right on my hook, the strangest thing I ever caught by far. More recently I caught a massive snapping turtle on bloody catfish dough and it broke my snap swivel, the rod snapped back in my face and cracked my sunglasses. Dragging that thing in was brutal, I thought I had snagged a branch after a catfish picked up and dropped my bait. Nope, a turtle ate the bate and hooked himself in the side of his mouth. He was hissing and quite angry, I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous. Please share your stories and photos of weird catches while lake fishing. Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught crabs, freshwater mussels, and almost hooked a few birds but my "weirdest" which isn't really weird just pretty lucky is I caught a real nice anchor once with my own anchor. I've also snagged some line and pulled in some lures. I guess I am more lucky than weird!
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught snapping turtles and painter turtles while going for catfish.

I once caught a crayfish on a small Rapala.
Cd662

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snagged a Fenwick rod with an old Mitchel reel, still spooled up with a jighead and a soft plastic on the decaying hook. Also, snagged a bluecrab with a lure at Penfield Reef, Mike saw that one. Very strange.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was ice fishing at Gardner Lake one time and set a shiner on a tip up right at the bottom. When I went to go put a fresh on a while late I felt some weight on the end of the line. Turned out to be some kind of old fishing rod.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fishing Bantam this past week with a Top Water Spook. I rigged it with weed less trebles and tossed it over the Lilly Pads. Seagulls swooped down on it so much I changed lures. They were actually diving into the water on it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I was fishing Bantam this past week with a Top Water Spook. I rigged it with weed less trebles and tossed it over the Lilly Pads. Seagulls swooped down on it so much I changed lures. They were actually diving into the water on it.

Had that happen last summer in Pattagansett bay.Talk about a pain to remove the spook.I reeled it in and all his friends came over and started dive bombing me as he squalked.It almost happened twice.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
clinteastwood

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a seagull once in the ocean on a topwater. He bit the crap out of me and crapped all over me while I was trying to unhook him. I got him free and let him go. No grattitude I can tell ya.
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: crayfish Reply with quote

caught a number of crayfish on a Berkley trout worm. I knew something was strange, but felt weight on the line. I never set the hook and slowly dragged it in, with the crayfish just hanging on. I was able to repeat the process and catch 3 or 4 this way.
RivetSmasher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught a large snail in Lake McDonough today.
Zaxx

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my first fishing memories was fishing for striped bass down in Mystic and the only thing I ended up hauling in was a horseshoe crab.
PECo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last Thursday, I finally caught my first ever turtle at Winchester. The snapper bit my wacky rig and I hooked it right in the center of its upper lip. I pulled it up from the bottom in five feet of water on 10 pound test P-Line Fluoroclear. Thanks to NWDarkcloud (aka Bob) for netting it and then taking some photographs. Yes, it was NOT happy about getting caught!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught a huge snapping turtle at Fountain Lake and a small box turtle at Mixville Pond. Everybody's got to eat.
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught a few freshwater clams while letting worms and mealies sit on the bottom.

Last year during the late summer/early fall snapper run is when I caught a northern sennet.
Pauleye

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:42 am    Post subject: Weird Catch Reply with quote

Jack Crevalle (small) at Millstone Discharge
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: