CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Keeney Cove 8/3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
imsafanct

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Keeney Cove 8/3 Reply with quote

Hi all. This is my first post here; its fun to read about what you all are doing and how you are making out. A friend and I have been out five times this year with generally good results, at Black Pond, Lower Moodus, Pickerel Lake and Keeney Cove.

We got out this past Saturday, 8/3/13 for our 2nd trip to Keeney Cove. Here's how we did:

5:45am to 11:45am

Outgoing tide when we started, incoming tide when we finished

Overcast, air temp in the 70s

Eric:
1 catfish on hot olive #8
1 crappie on tigerfire #8
3 sm-med lgmouth on tigerfire #8

Bill:
4 med-lg lgmouth on strike king sexy shad #8
Largest was very nice, roughly 20", not sure of the weight.

All fish caught within the rt. 3 bridge tunnel channel and mouths, casting to the rip-rap, retrieving toward center of channel. None caught in the tunnel. Most of the bass were caught around 9:30am during light to moderate rain.

Bill had gotten skunked the week before at Keeney so when the bite turned on as the rain began to fall and he caught the largest bass, he was pumped. All was right with the world.

Truth be told, I'm not a fan of fishing with rubber worms, grubs or jigs. I know many folks catch plenty of fish with them, I just prefer top-water, spinnerbaits, crankbaits or frogs for pads.

With that said, I'm looking forward to some evening top-water bass action real soon, and I'm as excited to catch my first pike in the river as well.

-Eric

[/img]
DCAJ

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.
I haven't tried Keeney Cove all year.
Might be time to try it.
RobO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that was a great fishing REPORT.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I am not a fan of rubber worms either, but during the summer they seem to work best. My "go to" bait is a crankbait. I love square bill cranks, they seem to land me nice Pike and Bass....especially during the cool, overcast days.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report. It's funny how that river turned on and off like a light switch Saturday with the rain. I was there in the Middletown, Haddam, Hamburg area. Never fished Keeny Cove. Don't even know where it is LOL and I've been on that river a half dozen times.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna,

I read your post earlier today where you described the "light-switch" effect and I said to myself, "hey that's exactly what we experienced". There was not much happening before the rain, but shortly after it started raining for real (not pouring), we made a float into the tunnel channel, and the bite was on.

I was using the firetiger during the bite, without as much success as my friend, who was using the sexy shad. Color makes a difference, as does the tide. I checked the tide charts and found that the bite kicked on as soon as the tide started to come back in, probably bringing baitfish in with it.

Another friend turned me on to Keeney slightly over a year ago and he loves the spot, especially for pike. I do love nice bass, but I'm one who likes variety too. That's why I'm currently big on fishing the river. I was very happy with the crappie I caught and I'm still trying to figure out what possessed the cat I caught to hit a Rapala.

-Eric
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to CTFT Eric!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: