CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Naugy 8/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Naugy 8/5 Reply with quote

Member mikeyinstfd (AKA Mike) and I hit the Naugy this morning and afternoon. We started at the quarry Stephan talks about around 10:45am.

No bass would hit at the quarry, whether it be a soft plastic, jig, or crankbait.

Next we went to the Seymour Rapids. Mike threw a popper, jig, spinner, and a few smaller Rapalas. I tried throwing glass minnow Husky Jerk HJ-6, brown trout Flat Rap FLR-6, firetiger Original Floater F-7, bleeding copper flash Original Floater F-7, and shad Shallow Shad Rap SSR-5. Mike had 2 small hits on the popper.

Later we moved downstream to find a few smallies. Mike was getting them to follow and hit his jig, but couldn't set the hook. I had 2 chase and swipe the glass minnow HJ-6 as I did a constant jerking retrieve downstream. Mike tried throwing a 3" swimbait and I also tried throwing a 1/4oz chartreuse hair jig rigged with a 1" soft plastic crayfish. Both of us couldn't get the smallies to hit anymore.

After stopping for a bit to eat at Subway, we hit the Olson St area. Found there to be smallie and baby striper action in faster moving waters and rocky areas. Mike got a number of hits and caught his very first smallmouth bass with a blue shad Rattlin Rapala RNR-7. I landed a few smallies and baby stripers all on the glass minnow HJ-6. Smallmouths ranged from tiny 4" to an average 11" Naugy smallie. Baby stripers were around the same size. One smallie did a 2 footer right after setting the hook.

Last stop was the Derby Greenway. Action was good underneath Division St. I stuck with the glass minnow HJ-6 as I also played with a helsinki shad HJ-6. Mike threw a brook trout FLR-6, original pearl shad FLR-6, silver blue HJ-6, popper, 3" swimbait, and parrot X-Rap XR-8. Both of us got a lot of hits as we stuck with a variety of jerking techniques. Mike lost a few and I landed about the same amount of smallies and stripers as I did in Ansonia.

Once the bite died and it was 5:10pm, we hit the road.

Smallies and baby stripers were hanging out in rocky stretches with enough depth and deeper areas with enough current at the surface. Saw smallies chasing alewives in 2 areas, which seemed to be the reason why Glass Minnow and Helsinki Shad were to go-to pattern working. Jerking techniques from constant jerking with the current to jerk and pause were getting them to hit better than a steady retrieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: