CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Pequonnock 8/8
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Pequonnock 8/8 Reply with quote

After looking at the radar in the afternoon and seeing nothing coming with just a few small showers popping up here and there in Westchester County, I decided to head out. Original plan was to hit Twin Brooks Park but as I was cutting through Beardsley I decided to fish the Pequonnock and Bunnells Pond.

First stop was the Pequonnock at the upper section of Beardsley Park around 2pm. Worked my way down to Bunnells Pond as I hit many spots on the Pequonnock.

Threw a number of smaller jerkbaits and shallow crankbaits. The big hit was the glass minnow Husky Jerk HJ-6. Bluegills, redbreasts, smaller bass, and yellow perch were showing more interest in the lure as I did a more aggressive jerk and pause retrieve. Ended up catching 2 bluegills, 1 redbreast, 1 yellow perch, and lost a cookie cutter bass.

Never had any luck at my usual spots this time of year at Bunnells Pond as I threw a number of deep diving and shallow diving Rapalas and the HJ-6.

Next stop was the Wonderland of Ice. Hit my 2 usual spots there. One spot produced a chubby redbreast that fought well and also a 14" pickerel just under a pound. Both fish hit the HJ-6 as I constantly jerked it while going with the current.

Last stop was the lower tidal freshwater section at Glenwood. Didn't have any luck there and not much as for fish due to it being turn of tide with low scheduled for 7:11pm.

Hit the road just before 8pm.
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always amazed when bluegill and redbreast hit minnow lures.What are they thinking? I have to see a bluegill hit a bluegill lure.I'm sure they will.Just like perch hitting a perch lure.
CANNIBLES!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
I'm always amazed when bluegill and redbreast hit minnow lures.What are they thinking? I have to see a bluegill hit a bluegill lure.I'm sure they will.Just like perch hitting a perch lure.
CANNIBLES!

Pound for pound, sunfish are the most aggressive fish in freshwater. Here in CT, the most aggressive sunny is the redbreast. They fight twice their size and hit a floating fly or lure like a larger crappie or medium sized bass.

If you were to fish a small pond or private lake that holds bluegills and pumpkinseeds 8"+, then you'd think you're reeling in a 2 pound bass on a 3" crankbait.
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The redbreasts definitely fight hard, but I think a river smallie has the best pound for pound fight in CT.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sbehuniak09 wrote:
The redbreasts definitely fight hard, but I think a river smallie has the best pound for pound fight in CT.

smallies can fight like mini bluefish.A big fight then,"that little thing fought like something twice it's size;thought it was much bigger."

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
sbehuniak09

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A six inch smallie out of the Naugy fights about as well as a 3lb LMB. No exaggeration whatsoever.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 3 freshwater would be..

1) Bowfin
2) Smallie
3) Pickerel

I've only caught a few bowfin, but when I have those things have thrashed like crazy and pulled so hard I had no idea what was on the line lol.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Stephan. River smallies fight harder than a river redbreast pound for pound.

Outside of sunnies and smallies, pound for pound would be pickerel. Pickerel are the most aggressive member of the pike family here in America.
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SAP284 wrote:
My top 3 freshwater would be..

1) Bowfin
2) Smallie
3) Pickerel

I've only caught a few bowfin, but when I have those things have thrashed like crazy and pulled so hard I had no idea what was on the line lol.

Never caught a bowfin but from what I've heard on this site they are a good fight.A Broodstock salmon in the Naugy is a fighter when they run up and down the current jumping and shaking their head.I can't say pound for pound since the smaller ones are a lot like a trout fight.

pmoneyct

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea smallies fight like heck

family,fishing.and a good dog. "Thats all i need"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: