CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Knife Sharpener
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heavymetal53

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Knife Sharpener Reply with quote

Does anybody know a good knife sharpener for fillet knifes? I cant seem to find one that will keep a good edge on my fillet knives. Im tired of wasting money on sharpeners. Most of the ones I have do a great job on thicker blades.
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What sort of metal is your fillet knife made of?

If it's made of 440 stainless steel -> Keep on sharpening as you have -> It just won't hold an edge for long no matter what. thumbs down

Best fillet knife is one made of carbon steel! Thumbs Up

I know Exclamation -> All my family where butchers and so was I till I decided as teen I didn't want to cut meat the rest of my life and decided to go to sea. Very Happy

Here are 2 very good articles that explains it all!
http://www.wolf-mountain.com/index5.html
http://ragweedforge.com/kniv.html

Here's URL to Dexter knives -> used for decades by fish houses in New Bedford, Ma.
www.dexter-russell.com
Type in search block "fillet" -> look at traditional fillet knives.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Heavymetal53

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are 440 stainless. I have a few carbon steel butcher knivesand seem like i never have to sharpen them things.
NWDarkcloud

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Seadog 440 stainless is realy a poor steel for knifes. ...ive been makeing knifes for years and prefer Hi-carbon for everything keep them clean dry and lite film of olive oil on them never rust .....theres lots of sharpeners out there but ive never found a use for any of them still useing the same wet stone my grand-da gave me 50 years a go and I buy a new file ever few years because the stainless ppl give me to fix whipe out the file because 440 is so hard. So toss the stainless grab a cheap hi-carbon blade ...remember fancy high price stuff dont mean it cuts better

Last edited by NWDarkcloud on Wed May 02, 2012 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
PECo

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Stephen, thanks for the link to the Dexter-Russell knives. I've been wondering what to get.

Now, what's the best all-around length if you have only one knife? Is a 9 inch fillet knife too long for typical use (fish under three pounds)?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Personally, I like the 9" fillet knife.
Longer the blade -> the longer the stroke passing thru the fish, which makes for a cleaner cut -> No sawing back and forth as you would with a shorter blade.

I inherited my Dad's set of German made butcher knives that Mom bought him.
Very expensive but made of very high carbon steel.
Set came with a 9" fillet knife which I use on all the fish I keep and fillet.
Stays super sharp!

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
Dani43

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool tips. was wondering about it too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very timely post 'cause my knives are dull as well. They feel sharp but won't cut much of anything. I have 2 Rapala knives and after reading this thread, I'm betting they are of the stainless variety. So before I spend a lot of time attempting to sharpen, I may just get a couple that are more easily sharpened.

Can anyone tell me for sure if they are 440 stainless or something else? I didn't find anything on the Rapala website (of course it could have been staring me in the face and I may have missed it) indicating blade steel type. I also have a Fiskar that has the built in sharpener (oh boy!!) in the sheath. None of them have any markings on the blades other than a name.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeaDog, thanks for Dexter knives link. I ordered and received 2 new knives, a 7" and an 8" narrow. I used one to clean my catch today and they are pretty nice compared to the dull ones I've been using. I'm used to a 6" knife so I used the 7" today; I think its as long as I can handle efficiently. With the smaller fish that I deal with, I'm glad I didn't get a 9". I'm not sure I'd be as "accurate" for lack of a better term due to the long angles and leverage involved.

Now I can try to sharpen my other knives and if they don't come out well, then I won't have to worry about them 'cause I have the new Dexters.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on using the new long knives:
At least for me, I'm finding that the 8" is definitely too long for smaller fish, such as perch,bluegill, calico's and even minimum length bass. It seems that it is too much of a lever; a small movement on the handle end equals a much longer movement at the tip and less accuracy and controllability (a technical term! Very Happy ) on the average fish. The 7'" is not quite as bad as the 8" but it is still there.

6" is about the longest I can handle well and not end up stabbing myself occasionally like I have been with the longer ones. My best scenario is using a 4" to get the fillet off the fish, then drop that for the 7 or 8" to slip the meat off the skin; the 4" is really too short for that. I don't cut through the ribs, I cut around them and leave them on the fish as much as possible. The ribs on a big 'gill are pretty darn tough to saw through!

I'm posting this for others who may be considering a new knife and may not realize that small movements at the handle are much larger movements at the sharp tip end.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The size fillet knife you use is mostly a personal preference.

A lot though depends upon how adept your skills are at using a knife.

Meat butchers and fish house fileters, that use knives, day in and day out are very skilled individuals.
They will tell you -> Long knives for long cuts and short knives for bonening/short detail cutting.

As a teenager, and growing up as a meat butcher and filleting fish in the fish houses in New Bedford, I watched and learned from the best!

When I fillet fish, my preference is to use a 9" medium flex fillet knife ..... I can take the fillets off a small or large fish in one long continuous slab with very little loss of meat ..... then, (using same knife), I skim the rib bones off in one or 2 swipes..... same with removing the skin.
Took a lot of practice, but now I can go thru a dozen or more fish in nothing flat !

Again, knife size, is all a matter of personal preference and how adept your skill with a knife is.

SeaDog1 Mr. Green
wagnerj

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my 9" Japanese type fillet knives. I have been using it for 5 years now. It has the best quality since it is very sharp also it has a good looking.
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I know this thread is over a year old, but I finally caved and bought a Dexter Russell Traditional 8" Fillet knife. Filleted my first Crappie with it today and it works wonders. Very pleased with my purchase. Now I'll have to get a "Cooks Knife" and a "Butcher Knife".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: