CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing
Viewing Topic: Got some new Rapalas today, and quick report from last night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTownsend

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Got some new Rapalas today, and quick report from last night Reply with quote

Like the topic title says, today I got a couple Rapalas after reading all the positive reviews and being sold by Michael's sales-pitches (he's good - pictures are worth 1000 words) Cool

Recently I bought a kayak rack for my car and have been taking it out the past couple weeks. I used to kayak years ago but haven't in years so I've been trying to get back into it and last night I went out to Messerschmidt's Pond in Westbrook/Deep River with my brother (I have a two-person SOT kayak) and we bought our fishing poles along. I've never fished anything other than from the shore so I was a bit nervous about capsizing us if I got too excited with a fish on. Shocked

Got the kayak in around 5:00 and paddled across the pond, planning on going right to the opposite side at the dam. Saw some movement along the way so we stopped in the middle and were getting lots of bites. I hooked one that ver y aggressively took my Senko the second it hit the water. It was putting up quite the fight for a bit and of course I managed to lose it right as I got it near the boat Rolling Eyes This got the jitters of kayak-fishing out of my system though. Continued to work the middle area for a while without any luck so we moved over to the dam area and worked the edge of the lily pads. Within a few minutes my brother hooked a LMB. I didn't bring my scale out worried that I would drop it and lose it, but I would estimate about 1.5 lbs. Worked the lily pads until about 7:00 and then began to work back across the middle area.

About 10 minutes after we got to the middle of the pond I hooked up again and this time managed to get it into the kayak. Another small LMB, around the same size as my brother's. Just after sunset around 8:00 my brother got another LMB which managed to unhook itself before my brother could, resulting in a flopping fish in the kayak lol. We kept our cool and didn't flip the boat and got the fish safely back into the water. This one was noticeably larger than the other two but nothing crazy, maybe 2 lbs. Unfortunately no pictures because I'm the type who would drop my phone in the water but maybe next time...

After that we paddled in and loaded up the kayak before it got too dark. Today I got some more Senko's, which is what we had been using. I also wanted to try the Rapalas so I got a JSR-4 and an F-5 which I hope to try out tomorrow.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on types to use? I have read a bunch of posts here but I know how things can change year to year or even monthly so any suggestions are appreciated!
avidangler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give those rapala scatter baits a try or the well known producing Husky jerk.
I also like the Heddon Jr spook.I can walk those blindfolded.Just listen for the big splash!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: