CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Carp Fishing in CT
Viewing Topic: Topwater carp stalkin' plus a surprise dinosaur w/ pics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Topwater carp stalkin' plus a surprise dinosaur w/ pics Reply with quote

Slept in today. Didn't roll outta bed til after 9 and decided on french toast and fresh fruit for breakfast. As i was gettin started, I got the text from Mike askin what was up for the day so I told him to come to breakfast. At the table we decided to go try stalking some topwater carp with italian bread (the best)

We hit the grocery store for freshly baked bait and headed promptly to the pond. Upon getting there, we walked around to all the usual hangout spots of the carp, looking to see any movement anywhere. There were a ton of weeds in the pond, and the first spot was a dud. The second spot seemed empty as well until we walked closer and seen seven carp come out from under the weeds that lined the shore.

So we retreated to a safe distance around to the other side of the small cove and started launching free offerings into the area. We threw a dozen or so peices into the swim and decided to throw some into other areas for good measure. It wasn't two minutes before the carp were taking the offerings, so we migrated back over the the spot.

When we got back to the area, we threw a few more pieces of bread in and it was almost instant that the carp were showing interest, so we baited up and launched out hook baits. It may seem crazy, but the carp are very weary in the open water with not much cover, so we stayed about twenty feet from shore a little behind some lower tree branches trying not to spook the carp. First bait was Heather's, and it wasn't 30 seconds before she was hooked up and the fight ensued. It made one strong initial run before geting stuck in the weeds, then it turned onto a boot, but still took a few minutes too get in. After all was said and done, a healthy carp of about 8lbs was landed

As Heather was fighting her fish, there were still fish in the area actively feeding, so Mike got his line in the water but had no luck. Over the next hour we had a few close calls but no hookups until a hungry turtle moved into the area and guess what, they love italian bread too. So it wasn't long before Heather was hooked up with one of them too. Unfortunately she lost it after a short while.
Maybe fifteen minutes went by until another turtle, even larger, moved in towards Mike's baits. He hooked up, lost it, re baited and hooked up with the same turtle again. This time we got it in. I got in the water, found the tail, and grabbed on. Upon trying to hoist the beast up for a photo, Mike was a little iffy, as the turtle has some massive claws and powerful jaws, and this was one of the biggest turtles I've seen Mike try to wrangle so far, so I offered to lift it for him:

Don't ask how, because I'm not really sure, but the hook was safely removed from the turtle's mouth and we all still have all our fingers. We stayed for a little while longer with a few more close calls from carp, but they were ultimately spooked. Called it a day after two hours down there. All in all, a pretty interesting session.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, we fish for these fish with ultralight trout setups and the carp are anywhere between 8-12 pounds. Up to 15 in the fall.

fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What lb test do you use? Thats a big F'in snapper! How long did it take to get the turtle in?

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
JustinSolak

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For these fish we're usually runnin 4lb test, but thats because theyre a bit smaller and not quite as muscle packed as the river carp. That snapper took maybe 5 mins to get in. Long time to be standing in weeds waiting for it to get to me and then trying to get the tail.

Michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've landed turtles from small painters and boxers to monster snappers while going for channel cats at Beardsley Park. Enormous snapping turtles are always spotted at Beardsley and Twin Brooks. The golf course has a lot too.

Monster in the Pequonnock at Beardsley

Sun bathing at the golf course
bigh1590

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a question do you guys actually angle for these turtles if so do u eat them andis it even legal... not sayin its a bad thing guess my make turle soup all the time from turles outta the ct river if so can u specifically target turltes catch and release them seems like fun
bigh1590

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just a question do you guys actually angle for these turtles if so do u eat them andis it even legal... not sayin its a bad thing guess my make turle soup all the time from turles outta the ct river if so can u specifically target turltes catch and release them seems like fun
Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy hell that is a big snapper. i've nearly stepped on one that size and now i'm always extra careful when wading through water.
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big turtle.Dwarfs the one i caught at Winchester.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
AfternoonFisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:18 pm    Post subject: hunting turtles Reply with quote

You can hunt snappers in CT. Not something I would do, but you can do it. I don't know if there is a special license or what the limit is, but I remember reading it. I can't imagine too many people actually hunt snappers in CT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Carp Fishing in CT All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: