CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Flushed the Toilet (Well) Again today.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Flushed the Toilet (Well) Again today. Reply with quote

I never really could understand why the "Well" is always referred to as the Toilet of the Housatonic River System. Considering large Bass, Pike and Trout are consistently caught there. Granted it's not Candlewood Lake but there is some really challenging fishing there.

Only had about four hours to fish so I stayed close to home. Brought my neighbor, who has only fished once before, with me. I had one goal in mind. "Catch A Fish On A Jig." I tied on a Blue/Black/Red Bitsy Bug with a Blue baby Paca Craw.

We were on the water at 8am and proceeded north. Fished the east shore and banged a couple of 14" Smallies. Picked up a couple LM's at about 2 Lbs. Then headed to Pink House. Punched through the weeds with little success. Kept drifting and pitching south when all of a sudden my rod tip bends to the water. The wind was pushing us pretty good and at first, thought I snagged a log. A quick tug produced a bigger one back. I knew it was gonna be my PB. After a awesome fight, two big jumps and dives with a long drag screeching run, yelling "Get the net. Get the net." I boated this beauty. Weighing in at 5lb 6 oz's. It was "FAT" The gullet was big enough to swallow my fist. Absolutely fascinated me as to the size of the mouth. Thus the reason they're called Large Mouth Bass.

A while later my neighbor catches his first and only fish.

Caught a total of 8 Bass in four hours and ended the day with this keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the PB! Nice fish!
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations on catching your new Personal Best largemouth bass, Carl.

If there are weeds in eight to 10 feet of water, try dragging a Texas rigged creature bait through them. It's a lot easier than pitching a jig and works even better, sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! My tourney partner swears by creature baits in weeds. I have yet to catch anything on them and I have quite a few different ones. LOL (Always chasing the bait that works)

I tried the drop shot with a Motor Oil Ribster and a Whacky Rig with a Watermelon Red Flake Senko and could not hook up surprisingly. They wanted the Jig today.

All the fish caught today were on the outside of weed lines with structure (Trees/Boulders/ Chunk Rock Drop Offs) in 20 FOW. Maybe one or two shallow in 10 FOW. But they were smaller and near logs and rocks. Everyone hit it on the drop just before it bottomed out.

Phil you should try Indian Well State Park (aka Toilet Bowl) sometime. If we can manage a day off together we can take my boat.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Lake Housatonic, right? I've never fished any of the Housatonic River impoundments. I'd like to, though. I'm often free for fishing during the week. Lemme know when you're free.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be free Tues, Wed and Thurs next week. I'll pin it down better as we get closer and let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on your new PB largemouth. Nice fish!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: