CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help
Viewing Topic: Bilge pump
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bass tracker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Bilge pump Reply with quote

Tried my bilge last trip out, did not work. The light at the rocker switch does not come on, is it a bad switch, connection, wire? I looked at the panel fuses and all seemed good, would it have a in-line fuse somewhere? Before I go crazy looking does anyone have a idea what I should look at first?

Thanks

BT
SAP284

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with the connection wires to ensure there's solid connection. Then after that, I would check the fuse. There has to be an fuse for it somewhere. If that's not blown and it's in good tact, then I'm willing to bet its the switch. The way you can tell where there is power is using a power tester. They sell DC ones at sears for cheap. One end goes on ground and the other on the power wire. What you can also do is switch the wires from a "working" switch. I did this to troubleshoot my lights and it worked.

For example: if your "live well" switch works. Take the power cords from the bilge and plug them into the live well switch. Flick on the livewell switch...if it lights up then it's def the bilge switch.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Bilge pump Reply with quote

Thanks Steve, I did what you said and swaped out a working switch, still did not work. All the wiring looked good at the pump so I double checked the fuse in the panel. Even though it was not blown out there was a little bit of corrosion on the blades, not much but just enough. I put in a new fuse and it worked fine. I guess any little bit of moisture can lead to problems like that.

Thanks again for the reply.

BT
SAP284

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it Very Happy

I've had that happen a few times. I bought about a half dozen of fuses and have them in my boat, for cases like that...and in case I run into anything on the water. Always good to have spares. Glad you were able to pinpoint the issue. A replaced fuse is so much more easier than replacing the whole pump!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piggy back off this tread......I was told to start using dioletric ....can you put alittle on the fuse blades along with other pin connections....ect....?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Boat Repair, Electronics, and Motor Help All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: