CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Hunting
Viewing Topic: Berlin Police Shoot 300LB Black Bear
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megaman

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Berlin Police Shoot 300LB Black Bear Reply with quote

Check this out....

http://www.berlincitizen.com/news/allnews/2139119-129/berlin-sergeant-shoots-and-kills-black-bear.html#.

[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This bear had been wandering around Berlin for a few weeks before this happened. At one point it was a few hundred yards away from my house. Nobody complained or had any problems with it until some lady thought it would be a good idea to call the police. At that point the police came and got too close to it. Of course it got aggressive. If you corner any wild animal it will do the same.
avidangler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
Of course it got aggressive. If you corner any wild animal it will do the same.

Corner me and see what happens! Evil or Very Mad

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Megaman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketamine dart and relocation was all that was needed. Why not
let hunters control the population as well.

Last edited by Megaman on Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
UrbanRedneck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with letting us hunt these bears. They seem to be showing up in the Urbans a lot lately. Let there be a lottery and only a certain number of tags are drawn.
LMB, 21.5" @ 6.3 lbs. (Mounted)
SMB, 20" @ 5.8 lbs.
T, 23" @ 4.3 lbs.
bowhunter095

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanRedneck wrote:
I agree with letting us hunt these bears. They seem to be showing up in the Urbans a lot lately. Let there be a lottery and only a certain number of tags are drawn.

I still feel like we have to wait a few more years for the population to grow.
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bowhunter095 wrote:
UrbanRedneck wrote:

I still feel like we have to wait a few more years for the population to grow.

As long as we keep developing new communities in their territories.You guy's won't have long to wait.Where are they expected to go?People are the overpopulaters.Don't blame them for showing up where they shouldn't be.
That's kind of like knocking down a whole bunch of houses and then wondering where all the homeless people are coming from.
The human version right now is.....close down a bunch of businesses.......WHOA,where all these unemployed people come from?

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
eatsleepfish91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has been alot of sightings for years in the Pachaug state forest. I seen a cub this year hunting in griswold on state land. I was between it , and a fresh fawn kill. Not a good situation to be in with my single shot 20ga.
Kilroy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's going to be sooner than people think. I've heard talk of a lottery deal in certain zones....something about it being attached to archery deer permits. I wouldn't be surprised if it started off small scale in suburban zones. It's becoming a pretty big issue for ENCON, as well as state/municipal police. All I know is that it would be a shame if it got to a point where self-defense bear killings started becoming common enough that the media or possibly law enforcement might come down hard on it and totally ruin the issue. Hunters are and have long been the biggest champions of wildlife conservation in this country and are often the best tools in remedying many wildlife issues. It's a shame that people might have to die before the problem is addressed properly...but that's probably what's going to have to happen. The bears are all over the place now, esp. west of the river...and they're becoming more urban, and WAY more naughty. I see a lot of bears in the work I do, and too many aren't afraid anymore lately.. even aggressive. Yes, they have a right to exist and we encroach on their habitat, but unfortunately for bears they aren't at the top of the food chain and THEY'LL have to adjust... not the other way around. Lucky for them, we're a benevolent species of monkey and will ultimately take care of their species.
Kilroy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, the way I see it, as great a job as the DEEP wildlife division folks do in their surveys and all... another good way of helping them get a clearer picture about the bears in the state is by reporting sightings as often as possible. There's a form on the DEEP site for reporting bear sightings. Data is data, and any decisions they make have to be justified by data...know what I mean?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Hunting All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: