CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: No more fishing the outflow canal.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: No more fishing the outflow canal. Reply with quote

The rumors were true. The outflow at Haddam is closed off. Sucks.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! No! Whats Peco gonna do now? That's his favorite picture spot. At least one of them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
Oh! No! Whats Peco gonna do now? That's his favorite picture spot. At least one of them.

I guess this isn't a spot burn now! Laughing
DCAJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is bad news. Do you know why or if it will be open again?
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard from a few people and I know that some fishermen and hunters violate the No Trespassing by fishing and hunting from shore. If anyone reading this fits the description, (and one guy posted in the past year) Thanks a Ton! Violators may be asked to leave by a guy with an M-4. This areas is restricted because they still store spent fuel on site. I'm sure the elevated terrorism threat helped in the decision making process. Don't expect it open anytime soon.

By the way, they are keeping boats further off the outflow at Millstone, and I've also heard rumors that they may extend the restricted zone right around the point to include that area.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard from SeaDog lately

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up, Brian. Wink

I contacted Connecticut Yankee to ask why the canal has been closed. I left a message and they were kind enough to call me back. In one word, the reason they closed the canal is security. They cited a recent incident at a different but similar site, in which someone entered the facility through a canal and opened fire on a security officer. Although the security of the Connecticut Yankee site hasn't been compromised through the canal, this incident forced them to close it. Unfortunately, the closure is expected to be permanent. Sad

I'm really glad that I fished it before it was closed. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the news release about the incident, which occurred at the TVA (i.e., Tennessee Valley Authority) Watts Bar Nuclear Plant on April 21, 2013:

http://www.tva.com/news/releases/aprjun13/wbn_statement.html

Here's the only follow-up news release, which doesn't really add anything to the original:

http://www.tva.com/news/releases/aprjun13/wbn_clear.html

Here's some additional detail from a news report:
Quote:
The security incident happened on the Tennessee River side of the plant property, more than a quarter mile from the plant’s protected area, which houses its reactor and power production facilities. TVA spokesperson Jim Hopson said the subject traveled up to the plant on a boat and walked onto the property. When the officer questioned the suspect, the individual fired multiple shots at the officer. The officer shot back, and when he called for backup, the suspect sped away on his boat. At least one bullet struck the patrol vehicle, but the officer was not injured in the incident.

And here's more from another news report:
Quote:
The episode began when a security officer on patrol outside Watts Bar plant noticed an individual standing on the bank of the Tennessee River on plant property. Hopson said the officer challenged the individual, believed to be a white male wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

The individual pulled a handgun and took at least two shots at the officer, Hopson said. The security guard returned fire and called for backup. The gunman got into a flat-bottomed boat and escaped downstream. The exchange occurred in less than a minute, Hopson said.

So, we can thank some idiot in Tennessee for the closure of the Connecticut Yankee Atomic Power Plant Canal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see closing nuclear power plants and other facilities IN TENNESSEE.nuclear power plants in any state for that matter.But Connecticut???and a Yankee gas one for that matter.Such a shame.Thanks a lot to those backwards backwooders.Have to ruin things for the WHOLE COUNTRY. Twisted Evil

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avidangler wrote:
I can see closing nuclear power plants and other facilities IN TENNESSEE.nuclear power plants in any state for that matter.But Connecticut???and a Yankee gas one for that matter.Such a shame.Thanks a lot to those backwards backwooders.Have to ruin things for the WHOLE COUNTRY. Twisted Evil

Google Earth the the area (just don't look up any bomb making or radical political groups afterwards). You will see a secure enclosure with a large concrete slab and numerous containers on top. I assume those contain spent nuclear fuel rods, as this is how they store them at many facilities while the federal government and tree huggers battle it out over where to permanently store them. They were all supposed to go to Yucca Mountain. While it sucks for fishing, I'm more surprised that this was opened up for the few years it was.
jimbojonez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avid, honestly, i found "backwards backwooders" offensive. The man was likely disturbed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: The plot thickens. . . . Reply with quote

http://haddambulletin.com/resources/Home/haddam-bulletin_2014-august.pdf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: