CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc…
Viewing Topic: What line should I use?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n8cas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: What line should I use? Reply with quote

What Line should I be using ??

Considering:

* I mostly fish from shore (heavy brush and wood areas)
* When I'm on the lake I'm mostly fishing near/in heavily underwater veg.
* My reel is an Okuma Stratus SGT-30 8 +1 ballbearings 5.0 to 1 gear ratio
* My rod is a Shakespeare UglyStik Lite SP 1170-1MH 7 ft Medium Heavy
* I'm new to spincasting reels and am having trouble casting far (in comparison to closed-faced (old push-the-button) reels using the same lure

Any suggestions?
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braid.
You Can use a small diameter line that is super strong.
n8cas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone told me, I think at Dick's to get Braid, but then when I asked the guy who worked at Dick's he said to go with Vanish/non memory by Berkley - 10lb test.

Should I be looking at a particular color?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="n8cas"]someone told me, I think at Dick's to get Braid, but then when I asked the guy who worked at Dick's he said to go with Vanish/non memory by Berkley - 10lb test.

Not for heavy cover/brush type fishing, don't know what the guy was thinking! Like Chuck said go with braid but with a mono backing underneath. At least with braid you can go 30-50 pound strength but with a diameter of 8-10 lb. line. That is the kind of strength you're going to need hauling fish out of vegetation. That 10lb. mono in most cases will snap before you get that nice lunker out of the brush. I use 8-10 lb. mono for all around open water fishing but would not recommend it for heavy cover fishing. Power Pro is very good braid, have used it and never had any problems with it. Tried different types of Spiderwire and was not pleased with it. Some of them felt like fishing with dental floss! Power Pro for me.

Last edited by SkeeterJim on Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevnseat wrote:
No Vanish! Anything but that! Laughing

AMEN to that!!!
n8cas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude sold me the worst line. Not too many people on here like Vanish at all. I'm also looking for a line that's easy to cast with AND limit the amount of bird's nests or whatever you call them.

My reel's (okuma stratus sgt-30) line-roller was not tight enough to the bail connector so my 10lb berkley vanish line was getting caught in between the line-roller and bail - STRIPPING the line as it was reeled in - i have to pull the line out constantly (almost every cast!) My line is pretty much destroyed so I'm taking it back to Dick's to get it respooled with whatever line (braided seems like a popular suggestion) I tried tightening the screw connecting the bail to the line-roller - let's hope that works out otherwise I might have to by a new reel? Any particular brand of braided line or color I should target?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanish will do that to you! Litterally vanish from your reel! Very Happy If your going with braid try the Power Pro brand, good stuff.
chuckc
Forum Police

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I use is vanish other than braid. I never seem to have a problem????? I do use a lot of precautions with any flouro though.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,..I think there are only two people in CT that like that line,..you and that guy in D!cks. Rolling Eyes Razz

Personally, I hate the stuff and think it is the worst line made,..with the possible exception of Ironsilk.

Another vote here for powerpro braid! On a spinning reel,..30# is the heaviest that I'd recommend!
On a baitcaster,..IMO, 50 or 65# works better just because it is thicker (larger diameter) so it is easier to handle!
n8cas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just4fun wrote:
Chuck,..I think there are only two people in CT that like that line,..you and that guy in D!cks. Rolling Eyes Razz

Personally, I hate the stuff and think it is the worst line made,..with the possible exception of Ironsilk.

Another vote here for powerpro braid! On a spinning reel,..30# is the heaviest that I'd recommend!
On a baitcaster,..IMO, 50 or 65# works better just because it is thicker (larger diameter) so it is easier to handle!

Powerpro braid it is!!! So the thicker the diameter the easier it is to handle? by handle you mean??? Also .. what color should I get?
n8cas

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought powerpro braid 30lb low visibility green. Should I have gone with red? - those were the only two colors out there....Braid doesn't come in clear? Also what is the difference b/t microfilament and monofilament ? I can understand mono means one and micro means small is that all there is to know about the two?
SkeeterJim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

n8cas, Yes the green Power Pro braid is fine. As for the difference between the two types of line, can't really tell as I have no experience with microfilament lines. I'm sure someone will chime in on this one.
Redneck Fisherman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try berkly fire line. i think it's the best braid. also look into getting a reel with at least four ball bearings. wal-mart has some really nice shapespear reels with 5-6 ball bearings. that is what i bought and i love it. but if you want a better brand they also have some really good abu garicas or quantums. ya vanish is good line but you have to break it in first and i only would use it for trout. Very Happy
bassfishingnewbie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found Shakspere omniflex works pretty good, not the best though. Very Happy
Question
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bait, Tackle, Rods and Reels etc… All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: