CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Salmon lake, belgrade Maine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anointed130

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Salmon lake, belgrade Maine Reply with quote

I am going to be headed up to Maine for Labor Day weekend and going to be staying on salmon lake.

Just wanted to know if anyone has fished there before and can provide tips, I don't want to chuck senkos toward the shore the whole time.

Can i be a fisher of fish too?

~Tony~
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: salmon lake IS THE BEST Reply with quote

we have been going up there for YEARS as a matter of fact just got back from 2 weeks -- stay at whisperwood lodge!!!!

areas to fish

the is a channel that seperates salmon from magrath

FISH both sides going into the channel ESPECIALLY the right hand side WITH ROCKY SHORE LINE! start at the outside of the BIG COVE it is a long stretch!! start at and stay in 14 ft and cast to shore! -- BLACK & RED COFFEE TUBES & BLACK AND BLUE SENKOS

fish outside the channel again 14 feet THE WHOLE AREA - BLACK & RED COFFEE TUBES & BLACK AND BLUE SENKOS

fish both coves before the channel shallow - SPINNER Baits and poppers ALL DAY

heading through the channel to magrath throw on both sides for a bonus fish

once out of channel and in magrath - THE RIGHT SIDE all the way up to the island

head into the middle and towards the far end and fish the sunken island all around the the 2 bouys!

head back to salmon FISH the hazzard area before the channel again 2 bouys!
TAKE YOUR TIME HERE throw different stuff and be patient - IT HOLDS BIG FISH ! make this your #1 spot to hit several times a day!! -- over the 12 days we were there 4 6lds a bunch of 5ls and tone of fun fish!

back in salmon out of the channel head to the left shore HOUSE WITH 2 RED UMBRELLAS - THERE IS A POINT fish that all the way along the shore AND the shore with the houses ALL THE WAY!!! - hit docks and again there is a hazzard bouy over there to FISH IT and fish all the way to the steep ledge! stay in water 25 to 15 and throw towards shore! -- you will come to a GREEN pump house stay in about 20 feet there is a large weed edge! FISH IT SLOW! all the way around the corner! to the ledge and fish from the ledge all the way back to the lodge!!!!!

THE NIGHT IS ASSUME black senkos-b lack tubes -black JITTERBUGS - black spinnerbaits -- NIGHT TIME IS THE BEST!!! -- better than the early morning!

no need to be fancy up there senkos - tubes - KIETECHS top water and spinner baits!

this will give you an idea of what to expect -- FOLLOW my instructions and a seven pound large mouth is in reac h and you should catch many 5's and a 6

the smallies don't get to big a 19 inch is a big one BUT THEY fight like hell!

http://www.whisperwoodlodge.com/big_bass.htm

good luck it is one of the best lakes in the northeast

if you are at the lodge tell them you know russ and andrew from newtown! - i called doug tonight hopefully he will tell you to read thisi!

Last edited by rvolkers on Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call me if you need anything else russ 203-770-7474
rvolkers

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rvolkers"]call me if you need anything else russ 203-770-7474[/quote]

sorry we did not connect - hope you caught a bunch of fish & had a great time!
anointed130

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the great tips, it was a really tough weekend, there was a lot of rain the whole time we were there with the exception of Sunday, but it did rain early Sunday morning and Sunday evening and Monday was a total washout for the most part.

Because of so much rain I only took boat out on Sunday and caught over a dozen shorts in McGrath and a few in Salmon lake, they have an abundance of small mouth and largemouth fish there, that's for sure. I went out on a kayak once and a canoe on Tuesday before the thunderstorms rolled in and caught a few fish, but didn't put a lot of time in. I caught the best fish right from the docks, which were a three pounder and one that was close to four.

I caught the four pounder with a white spinner bait on the docks

, and a three pounder using black and blue senko which you suggested.

Those worked out really well, I had fish tearing them up.

And some other fish caught using senkos

This gentleman caught his bass using shiners he caught a few big ones over the weekend.

My only regret was not bringing my own boat, it would have been nice. I tried using tubes and top waters and crankbaits. Had most success on senkos. They catch fish.

~Tony~
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a nice time even though the rain interfered.

Nice size to that 4 pounder!

How big was that smallie?

Looks like those 2 lakes hold plenty of lunkers that are chubby.
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those lakes are infested with huge bass, the funny thing is, I didn't see a lot of sunfish bluegills like you typically would, but hundreds of small fry bass around the docks and launching area.

The smallie was maybe two pounds if that, it was pretty dark when I caught it so didn't get a good measurement or weight. It was so dark that I thought it was a large mouth until I took a picture of it.

~Tony~
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By looking at the pics, seems to me like the lunkers are short but very chubby, kinda like some of those very chubby 13" 1.5 pounders I sometimes pull out of local waters
rvolkers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: you can get an idea Reply with quote

check out this link to see the fish that are caught and released uo in maine at whisper wood

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: you can get an idea Reply with quote

rvolkers wrote:
check out this link to see the fish that are caught and released uo in maine at whisper wood

Just what I thought seeing the length and girth on those 6 and 7 pounders
rvolkers

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: a great spot Reply with quote

http://www.whisperwoodlodge.com/

we have been going up to whisperwood for around 7 years usually do a spring trip around (memorial day) THE FISHING is great - but the weather is hit or miss. and always go in august (2nd week) we have a FUN guest tournament and the fishing is real good. the 2 lakes are not very deep as you would think around 50 ft in some holes. the main forage fish is smelt - sun fish and white perch. the lake has crappie (big ones) pickeral , large mouth, small mouth, yellow and white perch and we sometimes fish off the boat dock at night for some (big) bull heads. ALSO in the spring the trout fishing is GREAT big browns and brookies. while we mostly fish for bass memorial day YOU always get a couple of big browns and a brookie thrown in. EVERY fish andi mean every fish big or small are FAT - besides the forage fish there is no lack of cray fish (LOL) after being there for 2 weeks in august when i got around to cleaning the boat it was like someone had a crayfish eating festival from all the bits and pieces that where puked up!

the lodge is one of the best deals we have found GREAT PRICES - GREAT FOOD and great hosts. (LOL) we have often thought of getting a camp on the lake but when it gets right down to it. WHISPERWOOD is like having your own camp! All you have to do is fish and relax the rest is there and included.

we rented boats for a few years they have a number to choose from - but we got a boat a few years ago and bring it. the boat dock is real nice and includes electricity. and the ride up from CT is a very simple trip!

check them out on face book

try it youll like it Wink
anointed130

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would reccomend whisperwoods to anyone that loves to fish and relax in a peaceful environment. It was definitely well worth the trip and I miss it already, thanks Russ again for providing the link a couple years ago!

~Tony~
rvolkers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="anointed130"]I would reccomend whisperwoods to anyone that loves to fish and relax in a peaceful environment. It was definitely well worth the trip and I miss it already, thanks Russ again for providing the link a couple years ago![/quote]

the more you go the more it's going to feel like home - it is just a paradise away from the madness here in CT

you are welcome PERHAPS our paths will cross in maine - we hope to be living in maine by this time next year!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: