CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Lake Winfield/Zeiner Pond
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Lake Winfield/Zeiner Pond Reply with quote

After helping my grandfather mow his lawn today,i headed over to Winfield since i was close by. I hadn't been there since last year and was curious about how things were there.I arrived at 5:30PM and saw that the place was surrounded by thick cattails.Most of the place was now unfishable from shore.I parked at the end on Seymour road and started walking counter clockwise around it.The first spot i tried was directly across from the launch.

I used a Jr spook brown back/light gold sided/red throat and eyes/white belly.The first spot only resulted in a small pickerel going airborne and missing the spook.I decided to move on and went to the cove and fished off the rocks.A few casts and i ended up with a small pickerel that came from the right side of the island.

I took a few more casts on that side and only had 2-3 swirls and misses.I then started casting to the left side.When the spook hit the water i didn't even have a chance to work it before a small bass grabbed it

.I made another farther cast and the same thing happened again.Another small bass hit it immediately.

.Things died down a bit so i moved on.

The next spot i tried was from the old beach area.It was overgrown with cattails so i MADE A SPOT and stepped on a bunch so i could cast.I had a ton of swirls,misses and lost a few small bass there.I did however manage to hook and land another 2 small bass there.

.I had 1 large bass follow my lure into a foot of water and keep bumping my spook over 4 casts but,it wouldn't actually hit it.It looked to be a 2-3 lber.I would have broken out the scale had i caught it. Again,things died down and i started down the other side heading back to my truck.

About half way back i tried one more clear spot.The only thing there was another larger pickerel going airborne and missing the spook.It's nuts to see a fish leap about a foot and a half out of the water after that thing,even if they don't actually hit it and hook themselves. I made a complete trip around and it was now 7:00PM.

I decided to go rather than walk around to the first spot again.A lot of small fish and a lot of action.I bet if i were in a canoe or kayak i would have been able to hit a lot more spots and possibly caught more fish.The water was pretty clear and there was only a small amount of algae at the end where i parked.There were lilly pads along half the lake edge.The cove was about 1/4 covered with them.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little ponds can hold some gems!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to go back there today with waders.
That way i can get on the inside of those thick cattails.

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
warrod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as for wading forget it the bottom is a very deceiving quiccksand type mud i stepped out of kayak into two inches of water and sunk to my knees we used to fish and swim there till half a developers development on the hill acroass seymour rd washed down into the lake and ruined it i wouldnt wade there and do not eat any fish from it ps its infested with snakes too
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I waded it today at the beach area only!I could feel the sand under the weeds.I know what you mean about the muck.I used to go there years ago and sink up to my waist in parts...I can imagine how bad it's gotten since then.
I don't care about the snakes.They don't bother me.It was the big snapping turtle that i was more concerned with!He almost ate my spook twice.then came over to check me out.That's when i relocated.As for fish today.Only 1 small pickerel and 1 small bass.Both from the beach area.It was SUPER SLOW.Only 2 other swirls.
I don't eat fish anyways.I'm allergic to shellfish and all deep water fish.So i just don't eat them PERIOD! I catch and release unless i know someone wants them.I wouldn't eat anything out of Pine lake either. Wink

Thanks for the heads up though.

warrod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah forgot the turtles the small island is full ofv them ive cqaught a few of them by mistake with them four pound test is a joke there are a lot of fish but so underfished that theres a lot of stunts used to be a great place to pull out a lot of big pickerel
avidangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.the place USED TO BE VERY GOOD.It was nice when there were trout in there.
Still,i wanted to check it out.I usually go over to pine lake here in Bristol but,needed a change.Birges pond here gets WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE.
I haven't hit Hancock yet this year either.I've caught some nice bass in the back last year.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: