CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » River Reports
Viewing Topic: Housy Stratford 9/5
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Housy Stratford 9/5 Reply with quote

Arrived at Birdseye boat launch at 6:10 AM.The sun was just about to rise as we headed down river.The tide was just about out and high tide was due around 12:30 PM at the 95 bridge. We started trolling perriwinkles between the gas dock and the rock pile past #7. After about 6 passes by pile #7 my grandfather hooked up with a strong fighting fish.As it neared the boat it spit the lure but,not before we got a look at it.It was a big blue around 10-11 lbs i would say.We continued to work the area without any more bumps or hook ups.Gramps didn't want to go out to deeper water so we headed up river just below route 1 where we anchored and chunk fished.We ended up using the fallfish i had brought/caught last time.After about 30 minutes i had a small tap,tap,tap and whatever it was stole my bait.I rebaited and immediately had another but,stronger tap.I reeled in and my bait was gone AGAIN! I figured it had to be small and it couldn't take the large circle hook i was using.So, i took a small treble hook and added it as a stinger.I rebaited and casted back out.You guessed it.There came another tap,tap and i set the hook.When i reeled in i found that it was a sea robin that was stealing the bait.

My grandfather had a hit and lost his bait this time.I set him up with a treble hook stinger,he rebaited and the next tap he set the hook and up came ANOTHER sea robin.

As the tide continued to come in we both kept getting small taps and our bait stolen.FINALLY i hooked another sea robin that fell off at boatside just after i took a picture of it in the water.

As the tide switched and started to go out with no more fallfish to use,he cut up an old bunker he had brought.We used that and he ended up getting a second sea robin in a tail piece.

.It was now about 1:00 PM and we pulled up anchor then headed home. I didn't see any bunker or bait other than mummies along the shore.There were a few big schools of snappers around the bridge pilings.I also noticed that every sea robin coughed up tiny crab pieces.Apparently,that seemed to be the forage they were feasting on. Tomorrow/Friday night i am planning on taking my kayak out and either tagging along with my friend in his boat and launching out of 4 mile to fish that area.If he backs out then i plan to go myself to the CT river and launch from the Lieutenant river cartop launch.I hope to do some eel slinging and or run into some bunker before the sun sets.Possibly catch some bluecrabs to bring home for my sister.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
perfect hook set

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sea robins DOH'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to andrew zimmerman sea robin is a good eating fish ? skin it like a bullheahd and pan sear it and finish it off in the oven

family,fishing.and a good dog. "Thats all i need"
pmoneyct

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to andrew zimmerman sea robin is a good eating fish ? skin it like a bullheahd and pan sear it and finish it off in the oven

family,fishing.and a good dog. "Thats all i need"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> River Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: