CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Colebrook Reservoir?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wicane07

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Colebrook Reservoir? Reply with quote

This lake is the bane of my existence. some days i kill em, other days I get skunked.
Whats the secret?

Last year in low water i cleaned up by the old bridge, 35-40 fish a day easy, nice mix of smallies rock bass bluegills and even a few rainbow trout. this year as the water is dropping i keep moving down from the river mouth and some days i hit em, some days i strike out.
I'm fishing worms and shiners on the spinning rods. as well as metal spinners plastic worms (rigged swim and wacky.) rubber minnows hula poppers jitter bugs and the new rapala x-rap topwater.
also throwing poppers out on my fly rod.

If they are hitting, almost every bait i use works at one time or another

I cant stop fishing here because I know there are stupid amounts of BIG smallmouth.

Also added a new weapon to the arsenal this year, 14 foot starcraft, so im not just stuck on the shore anymore.

anybody got some tips?
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a finder? I've only fished Colebrook a couple of times, but figured out that locating bait balls on a finder is a good way to locate smallies.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, no fish finder. as I am a shore fisherman, i really have no idea how to fish lakes from a boat. i usually just hug the shore and fish the shallows or around cover that is obvious.
PECo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicane07 wrote:
no, no fish finder. as I am a shore fisherman, i really have no idea how to fish lakes from a boat. i usually just hug the shore and fish the shallows or around cover that is obvious.

What about the 14 foot StarCraft?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me clarify that.
the starcraft is my first boat, so i was a shore fisherman and now i have a boat and dont know what to do with it other than fish the shore from the opposite direction. haha
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicane07 wrote:
let me clarify that.
the starcraft is my first boat, so i was a shore fisherman and now i have a boat and dont know what to do with it other than fish the shore from the opposite direction. haha

Laughing I know what you mean. Kayak fishermen tend to fish shallow and just bang the shore. I've noticed that newer boaters tend to pilot their boats right up to targets, instead of staying back and casting to them. I've been trying to learn how to use my electronics and catch fish that are holding deeper, instead of just banging the shore. It's a whole different world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: