CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Saltwater
Viewing Topic: Berkley Gulp
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Berkley Gulp Reply with quote

Starting to consider getting into the bottom bouncing game in the surf for stripers and fluke by using bucktails.

Already found out that chartreuse is the color for fluke and stripers like white.

Soft plastic Berkley Gulps I'm looking at for trailers include Fat Sandworm, Ghost Shrimp, Mantis Shrimp, Sand Eel, Sandworm Gulp!, Shrimp Gulp!, Squid, and Swimming Mullet Gulp!.

Which of those would be my best bet for both fish and which colors would work best?
avidangler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that hot pink/white is also a good bucktail color.And black at night and dirty water.

As for trailers i also use Uncle Josh pork rinds.5 inch red/white.
dump out to water and ferment them in bunker scent....or scent of your choice.
They hold up better when you get short strikes or incounter blues.

I've tried gulp sandworms and yellow gulp 6 inch grubs that resulted in getting chomped off when i used them.
That's just my trial and error experience.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
fishfinder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, they last forever and are sold at Walmart. Take them off after use and store back in the jar. I'd probably get the smaller ones though for where Michael fishes like the 3"ERS.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the white, yellow or chartreuse during the day, black and purple at night. The Uncle Josh are the only trailers I use. Throw on a teaser up front as well. I like a casting egg if I have a good current like off a jetty or heavy surf. Just saves some casting and retrieving.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Just4fun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucktails are my favorite way to fish,...the whole trick is to keep them just off the bottom on the retrieve. You will have to try different weights to compensate for depth and current,...deeper water or more current means a heavier jig!
- Cast them out and let them fall to the bottom
- give 3 fast cranks
- pause and let it glide back towards the bottom
- 3 more fast cranks
- pause
- repeat, repeat, repeat

Vary the length of the pauses until you get it swimming just off the bottom with an occasional tick. For some reason this retrieve snags way less than a steady retrieve,...and it really catches fish!!!

My top secret trailer.........put a pork rind on first, then put 1/2 of a Gulp Alive bloodworm on top of the pork rind. The pork rind has a great swimming action and the Gulp worm gives just enough scent to trigger more bites!! The pork rind also makes it much tougher for a fish to steal the gulp without getting hooked!! Cool
Michael

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throwing a 1/2 ounce or 3/4 ounce chartreuse bucktail for fluke is my main priority and will be fishing shallow waters with sandy bottom where sea robins and stripers also hang out with the possibility of a porgy. Time of day will vary from dawn to dusk. Tide would be incoming, high, outgoing cycle.

A retrieve I found productive is very much like what J4F said. A few quick twitches just off the bottom with a short pause on the bottom. Sometime fluke can be aggressive enough to hit it on a constant bouncing or twitching retrieve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Saltwater All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: