CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Mt Tom 9/19
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avidangler

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:39 pm    Post subject: Mt Tom 9/19 Reply with quote

I arrived at 6:00 am and was the first one there. I noticed as i was just ready to launch that another person had arrived.It was my buddy that caught the big salmon on Saturday. After we talked for a bit,we headed out and started trolling around the western end of the pond.A short while later i picked up my first brown trout.Across from the beach i had a big brown then lost it right next to my kayak. When my friend passed by me mentioned that he saw a large school of trout just off the beach.I made a pass by and a couple of wacks later i picked up a second. I marked large schools of alewives but,only a few larger fish around them.Some of the schools had no fish around them.

About another hour went by and my friend decided to hit the road.As he was on shore with a brown he had caught,i passed by and picked up a third. After loosing a few more things died down and my lure wasn't getting anymore attention.

i noticed a bunch rising in the middle that were sipping flies off the top. I went back to my truck and got some flies and my fly rod then headed out to try and catch some. I ended up catching 3 more but,kept only 1 leaving one space open incase i caught one of the larger browns.Things quickly died down and it was like glass out there.The sun was high and i headed back to the beach to rest for a while.

About an hour and a half later i headed back out.I dropped my motor in and headed to the cove to try for bass until the sun started to drop. I trolled over to the cove and had a wack that snapped my line.Most likely it was a salmon from how hard it hit.I retied another of the same lures and continued on my way. Just as i reached the cove i hooked a 14 inch bass. I then went into the shade....switched to a Jr spook and began casting around. I caught a couple pickerel 12 & 14 inches and a couple more bass.One of which was 4 Inches......the same size as my lure!?!The other was only about 8 inches. As the sun started to drop behind the trees,i switched lures and headed back out to try for salmon and trout again.When i came out of the cove i saw that my friend was back. I made a couple of passes by the beach with no luck.I put my pedals back in and continued to work that area of the pond for a couple of hours.It was starting to get dark.....the alewives started to break the surface again but,other than 1 more hit i had no more luck. I went in front of the beach and tried to at least get one more small trout with my fly rod but,didn't succeed. It was now about 7:00 pm and my friend and i decided to leave.

I ended up with 4 small browns....3 bass.....and 2 pickerel. NO salmon today! AND NO PICTURES this time. The trout i gave to the daughter of another friend.The bass and pickerel were released as usual

The pond is undergoing turnover and there was a good amount of decaying plant material in the water.

I also stopped by the Naugatuck river on Friday.I am happy to say that there are salmon there as well.But,SAD TO SAY.........THERE ARE A COUPLE OF SALMON SWIMMING THERE WITH LURES IN THEIR BACKS!!!!

TO EVERYONE...AND ESPECIALLY TO THOSE WHO DID THIS...
IT IS ILLEGAL TO SNAG SALMON! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE AND I HOPE THE DEEP CATCHES YOU.
I SENT THEM AN EMAIL INFORMING THEM OF THIS AND THEY WILL BE STRICKLY INFORCING AND PATROLLING THE AREAS WHERE SALMON ARE STOCKED.USING OFFICERS IN NORMAL CIVILIAN CLOTHING. AND POSSIBLY INSTALLING HIDDEN CAMERAS..................DON'T SAY YOU HAVEN'T BEEN WARNED!

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
PECo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could look this up, but do you have to use a lure with only a single free swinging hook when targeting salmon at Mount Tom Pond?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
I could look this up, but do you have to use a lure with only a single free swinging hook when targeting salmon at Mount Tom Pond?

I couldn't help myself and looked it up:
Quote:
Fishing for Atlantic Salmon is limited to use of a single fly or artificial lure with a single free-swinging hook. Additional weight may not be added to the line.
Snagging is strictly prohibited.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PECo wrote:
PECo wrote:

I couldn't help myself and looked it up:
Quote:
Fishing for Atlantic Salmon is limited to use of a single fly or artificial lure with a single free-swinging hook. Additional weight may not be added to the line.
Snagging is strictly prohibited.

You're half right!
That is the regulation for streams and rivers.(broodstock management areas)
Lakes and ponds go by trout regulations. No single hook is needed.....season is the same as trout.....you can use live bait,power bait AND lures with treble hooks.

CHECK PAGE 15 OF THE ONLINE ANGLERS GUIDE
"Seasons and methods for taking atlantic broodstock salmon in lakes are the same as trout in that water body except only you are allowed (1)salmon per day"

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: