CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Out of State Reports
Viewing Topic: Miserable Day 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Miserable Day 2 Reply with quote

High tide for Dennisport was scheduled for 2:54pm Sunday. NWS was originally predicting rain to last throughout the afternoon but found the forecast had changed to rain ending by noon with a few lingering showers and skies gradually clearing.

Picked up a rental bike and headed over to the mouth of the Swan River. Got there an hour or so prior to high tide. Found a father with 3 kids fishing there and he said the schoolies were active up until a half hour before I got there due to the tide getting closer to peak high.

I threw a number of lures out there but only had a tail swipe on a mullet Saltwater Skitter Pop SSP-12.

The big issue was non-stop wind knots on the 20 pound braid. I had a few on Day 1 but Day 2 was a very bad day with the wind knots.

Gonna go to the local bait shop Monday to see if they have mono leaders because I didn't have anymore at home and wasn't expecting this, even though I've only used the 8 footer with 20 pound braid once so far this year in CT.
fishfinder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What braid are you using because I very rarely get knots with power pro slick 8! You really need to give up the day fishinv and head out at night if you really wZnt to catch fish

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
What braid are you using because I very rarely get knots with power pro slick 8! You really need to give up the day fishinv and head out at night if you really wZnt to catch fish

I have Power Pro Slick on both the 8 footer and the schoolie setups. The 10 pound Power Pro on the schoolie setups hasn't given me these issues. Plan is to sell the reel with the 20 pound braid still on it and use the PayPal money to replace it with a 5000 model for 17 pound mono. The mono I use for surf and saltwater is Sufix Tritanium, which is a heavy duty copolymer with great casting.

You need to talk with my mom about me heading out at night. Mothers never stop getting concerned about their kids no matter how old we are.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you monitor you line on the cast. I NEVER reel to trip the bail. Always by hand and I make sure the first few cranks aren't wrapping over a loop. They do happen, but I attribute this to my negligence rather than the braid itself. As the guys mentioned, you gotta fish later. Pre-dawn/dusk "golden hour" is my favorite time.
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Michael

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The issue I have with not being able to fish at those times here at the Cape is being with my mom.

Even though I'm 30, my mom still doesn't want me fishing after dark.

Back home if she finds out that I was riding my bike home from fishing after sunset, she has a fit.
Redneckangler

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convince her to go watch a sunrise or sunset Very Happy
Weekly reports from around CT, the LIS and beyond.
Sea Duck

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind knots are almost always caused by having too much line on. "Too much" varies depending on how well the spool lip is engineered on different reels. Throwing poppers or other lures or conditions (current, wind) that cause you to retrieve slack line caused slack loops which will eventually cause a knot, or even worse cause a wrap to cross over the drag knob. The latter is sure to pull a nasty snarl on a hard cast.
If you are in a new place with different conditions than you are used to, why not switch the reel over to some mono, get a little less distance and enjoy the opportunity to fish a new spot with the gear you can make work the best?
Good luck
SD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell your mom you actually want to catch fish!!!! Really though your 30 and have yo be home before the street lights ho on! LOL, that's sad dude.

and standing on the shore like an idiot!
Michael

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishfinder wrote:
Tell your mom you actually want to catch fish!!!! Really though your 30 and have yo be home before the street lights ho on! LOL, that's sad dude.

My mom is a TUFF Italian women who can't be convinced by any man except for her old school Ozone Park father Rolling Eyes

Smart mouth on her too so she can get around and out of a situation Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Out of State Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: