CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » General Topics
Viewing Topic: Wild Rice along the Connecticut River 09/24
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Wild Rice along the Connecticut River 09/24 Reply with quote

On Tuesday, DirtyDawg10 (aka Derek) and I found wild rice in every cove along the west bank of the Connecticut River between Haddam Meadows and Selden Neck State Park, although the best crop of it was in Hadlyme Cove. We saw a guy in a canoe there harvesting rice in the traditional native American manner, by pulling stalks of rice over his canoe and shaking them to get the grains to fall into the canoe. Here's what the stalks of rice look like:

I'd bet that Boggy Meadow, which is near the confluence of the Mattabesset River and Coginchaug River, is also loaded with wild rice, right now.

Last edited by PECo on Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
avidangler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty neat!
I had no idea it grew around here.
I wonder how it tastes. You ever try any?

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did try it unprepared and it was pretty good. If you actually prepared it I'm guessing it would be great.
PECo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grains of rice are covered with a very thin hull or skin, if you gently peel it off, you can eat the grains raw. They're small, of course, but they're definitely starchy and taste a little nutty.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool to see that. I would have never expected to see rice grow wild here. I wonder how the state feels about it growing there? Could this wild rice become invasive and cause problems for native grasses or is it actually a good thing for the ecosystem and shoreline areas?
DirtyDawg10

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have read the wild rice stands used to be much larger and more widespread along that portion of the river including more of the upper Connecticut River and the main part of the river. Wakes from boat traffic have diminished the amount we see now. I guess that's why we saw it in coves and areas with little to no motorized boat traffic. Some of the areas actually had marked speed limit signs and no wake zones probably for that reason.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> General Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: