CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Reports
Viewing Topic: Crappiefest on Zoar
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Crappiefest on Zoar Reply with quote

Went down to Zoar Saturday morning from 7:30-9am. Conditions were calm with barely a breeze and low misty cloud cover. Fished 20-23 fow on a drop off near the docks and caught 27 crappie in that time. Oddly not a single bass or bluegill. At 8:45 it was like someone flipped a switch, not even a nibble after that point. Most fish were in the 8'-10" range with a couple of dinks in the mix. 1/16 oz tube jigs tipped with Berkley crappie nibbles did the trick, chartreuse (BPS lightning bug) was the hot color, pinks and oranges that have worked well for me produced poor results. If I moved 6 feet in either direction there was not much happening. Fish were definitely condensed tightly even though there is no noticeable structure, just the drop. All bites were subtle and within a foot or so of the lake bottom with very minimal action applied to the lure.

Schools of white perch were feasting on whatever baby fish fry were swimming around the shallow areas. They were chasing them pretty good and often there would be dozens of babies leaving the water to escape becoming a snack. It seems weird to see so many small fry schooling around this late in the year. I caught a few perch as I casted through the boils just to see what was causing the commotion under the water.
Saw some big splashes near the weedlines, I assume it was a large carp, but never got a good look just a glance after I heard them. I was hoping to see the eagle again but haven't seen him around in a week or so. Overall it was an enjoyable fast and productive morning.
PECo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fished Lake Lillinonah with Wanna Fish (aka Carl) on 09/20. Fishing deeper (aka outside the weedline) with a drop shot got me only little smallies and little white perch. Lots of little white perch. Rolling Eyes I was surprised that I didn't get a crappie. Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i fished lake zoar for pike sunday am and got 2 one was 31in the other was 39in
BigEd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went down again last night to pull the boat but fished for an hour first. It was another productive trip, pulling 17 fish from the same spot. There are lots of weeds in the shallows just adjacent to deeper water. I'm thinking this weekend I might try to throw some casts for pike at sunrise.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: