CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Lake Fishing
Viewing Topic: Choice of live bait for pike
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigEd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Choice of live bait for pike Reply with quote

I'd like to try fishing Zoar for some pike this upcoming week. I will have one rod setup for lures but I also want to try some live bait. I know everyone suggests getting large pike shiners or suckers. I can easily harvest a few white perch, crappie or bluegill to use for bait and all are readily available as a natural food source to the pike in Zoar. The white perch have been chasing fry all over the place lately and crappie stacked pretty tight close to the area I plan on fishing making them easy pickings.

So here is the question, which of these fish would you prefer to use as live bait for pike? Should I even bother and just grab some large shiners instead?
PECo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys who used to post on CTFishTalk about open water northern pike fishing used to suspend dead or wounded sunnies underneath big bobbers for pike, but I think that he once got a 40+ incher with dead golden shiners, too. I'd think that any dead or almost dead, bleeding fish would work. NWDarkcloud and I once released a severely bleeding 16 inch chain pickerel that was subsequently eaten by a HUGE northern pike that we never saw. We heard the "WHOOOMP!" and saw the splash as the pike took the pickerel. It sounded like a bowling ball hit the water ten feet from the boat. I wouldn't waste the money or effort buying shiners.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO get whatever is easier for you. Pike will go after almost anything. I have had good luck on dead or live shiners, suckers, dice, etc. Some people have their opinions but I really can't tell much of a difference but I dont usually fish for pike unless its ice fishing. Pike shiners from a bait shop should catch you some pike but they usually arent the biggest.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i were to choose between crappie or white perch........
I'd go with the white perch and clip their back dorsal fin or pectoral fins to make them give off a distress signal.
Store bought shiners would be a last resort.Besides being on the smallish side,a dozen will cost you a pretty penny.
Sunfish would be number two...again,clip some fins.

Leeway and elbow room.There's plenty of water to fish!

avidanglingadventures.blogspot.com

"If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
SeaDog1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Any cut oily smelly bait will also do.
Mackerel or Pogy .... I've used both and they work quite well !

SeaDog1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Lake Fishing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: