CTFishTalk.com Forum Index

CTFishTalk.com Forum Index » Bass Fishing Reports
Viewing Topic: River Drawdown Lilly/Zoar/Housy
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: River Drawdown Lilly/Zoar/Housy Reply with quote

Fished a club event yesterday. Scheduled for Lilly with a launch start at 7:00am from Pond Brook. Backed the first boat in, 20' Ranger and couldn't get the boat to float off the trailer. Backed my 18' Skeeter in next. Barely got it to float off. Unsure if the lowering process was still in progress or complete we headed to Zoar which was fine. Launched at 7:30am.

Hit two keepers about 14" in first fifteen minutes. Then the rain started. For a weather report of sun at 8am and 20% chance of rain "IT POORED" at the north end of the river. Couple of small bites over the next three hours but no keepers. At about 11am I hook up with a Lunker. Guestamate it at 5lb Largemouth. Made three spectacular jumps the spit the hook about 10' from the boat. Arrrggghhhhh! One boat brought their only fish in, a 3.5 pound smallie caught on a black and blue jig.

Fishing was tough. 10 boats and only three returned with fish. Two 5 fish bags with he biggest weight a 7.5lbs total.

I used a Bleeding Bitsy Bug with a Paca Craw Trailer in Green Pumpkin. The winning bag Whacky Rigged a 4" Senko and never left the launch area. The fish on the WR were caught less than 2 feet from shore. My two were caught in 12 feet of water below the bridge on outside weed edges. My missed lunker was hooked south of the launch near the Oxford Town Park under a overhanging tree. Couldn't find any baitfish schools so we targeted structure of any kind.

Water temps ranged from 62 to 67 degrees through the day. With the fall water level lowering "You Really Need To be Careful" and use common sense. Your fish finders will give you the satellite depth and not the actual depth. Marked water channels are "NOT" what you fish finer indicates.

There are a lot of dangerous rocks that you would normally drive over with out thought. Those obstacles are now inches below the water.

Be smart and Drive Safe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a FYI, Zoar is scheduled to be drawn down Oct 19th - 27th.

I pulled my boat out of Zoar last week but we were still hitting them in deeper water before I did. Fishing the southern section of the lake 25-30 fow seemed the most productive. Drop shot, jigs w/trailers and fat swing impacts bounced off the bottom all worked for me.
Wanna Fish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the experience for deep water. That's going to be my priority next year. This year I concentrated on Jigs which has become quite beneficial through out the year with some nice lunkers caught.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna Fish wrote:
I don't have the experience for deep water. That's going to be my priority next year. This year I concentrated on Jigs which has become quite beneficial through out the year with some nice lunkers caught.

I have very good luck fishing lilli with heavy jigs. I am talking 3/4oz to over an oz. Pond brook launch is a pita if you ask me but luckily I have always been able to float my boat off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Steel Bridge in the process of being re-done and if Lilly is still being drawn down, Pond Brook will be a mud puddle by today. Pond Brook has a narrow width under normal conditions. With the draw down the launch width is drastically reduced. Driving home yesterday, the Housy at Indian Well is super low. The launch there must be next to impossible to launch from. I was hoping to get on the Housy a few more times this year before they close the park for the season.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CTFishTalk.com Forum Index -> Bass Fishing Reports All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: